Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really thinking about saving up for the k04 because i'm pretty sure my turbo is on its way out. Right now i have the APR stage 1, its definetly a lot more powerful than stock, but the only thing is that the powerband is really smooth. It doesn't push you back in your seat as much as you'd want. So its fast, it just doesn't feel as fast as it is. I'm wondering if the APR k04 is the same. And can anyone else offer insight on swapping to K04, tips, experiences?

thanks!

·
Can it really be?
339 Posts
I'm running stage 2 unitronic on a stock k03 its definitely puts you back in your seat

·
Can it really be?
339 Posts
I understand that but why not just go bigger turbo

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BT would be awesome, but i am a student and i don't wanna spend too much. plus i drive 90 km's a day to school, so fuel efficiency is something i would need to keep in mind. And i'd imagine i would have to get forged rods if i went big turbo. don't have money to pull the engine apart.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
K04 equals sex in mk5s. Dunno about the mk4 though. Just go BT, that's what must people do with the 1.8t

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
BT would be awesome, but i am a student and i don't wanna spend too much. plus i drive 90 km's a day to school, so fuel efficiency is something i would need to keep in mind. And i'd imagine i would have to get forged rods if i went big turbo. don't have money to pull the engine apart.
Dude, i know this has been covered but here ya go.

KO4 is great for a power jump that you are looking for. Big turbo is more awesomer for that power jump you are looking for. Bpth you can run safely with stock internals. I had the apr KO4 for a year with stock internals, and this coming march i will have been with the stage 3 BT for 3 years with stock internals. Average mpg i was getting with the ko4 was about 33, mpg with stage 3 is between 35-43 mpg. Keep your foot from the floor and you will be okay

DU SCHAUST WIE EIN AUTO, NUR NICHT SO SCHNELL!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Dude, i know this has been covered but here ya go.

KO4 is great for a power jump that you are looking for. Big turbo is more awesomer for that power jump you are looking for. Bpth you can run safely with stock internals. I had the apr KO4 for a year with stock internals, and this coming march i will have been with the stage 3 BT for 3 years with stock internals. Average mpg i was getting with the ko4 was about 33, mpg with stage 3 is between 35-43 mpg. Keep your foot from the floor and you will be okay

Can't run them safely on a 1.8t on stock internals. You NEED rods. We have a few members that thought they'd be fine only to break rods and then they end up replacing a good portion of their internals. Do your rods, save the trouble.

That being said, if you aren't looking for a big turbo just run a gt28xx turbo on unitronic 440cc software and have fun.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Can't run them safely on a 1.8t on stock internals. You NEED rods. We have a few members that thought they'd be fine only to break rods and then they end up replacing a good portion of their internals. Do your rods, save the trouble.

That being said, if you aren't looking for a big turbo just run a gt28xx turbo on unitronic 440cc software and have fun.
I thought the 1.8s were forged. Or is the the VRs?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I thought the 1.8s were forged. Or is the the VRs?

Very very early 1.8ts were. Vrs handle boost better, but you can still ruin a block if you aren't careful.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
but you can still ruin a block if you aren't careful.
Thats true with all blocks. Forged or not

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
That's why rods are typically a must
Yep. When the truck is gone and the rabbit is totally done i will start putting money back into the gti. Or if i win the $50 million lottery i will do it than. But if i have that kind of money i might just as well get my RS4 stage 3 super charger it and be happy. Lol

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
my mk4 has a k04 running a giac k03 tune and it runs great, very smooth power curve. I might go ahead and get a front mount, 380cc injectors and a giac k04 tune, but for now the current setup runs great.
ill smoke your

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts