Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happen to think that the stock system is indeed no "premium sound." Anyone else agree? thanks vw....for the garbage.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Agreed, but tell you what. Install a line output converter, so you can run a sub off the stock headunit. Then turn the bass on the stereo to about 1/4 and the mids and treb to 3/4. Mess around with the gain and the low pass frequency on the amp for the sub, and you know what, the system breathes new life. I made this little conversion happen on a boring saturday and it really sounds pretty damn good now. My $.02

·
Registered
842 Posts
Bcruzin said:
Agreed, but tell you what. Install a line output converter, so you can run a sub off the stock headunit. Then turn the bass on the stereo to about 1/4 and the mids and treb to 3/4. Mess around with the gain and the low pass frequency on the amp for the sub, and you know what, the system breathes new life. I made this little conversion happen on a boring saturday and it really sounds pretty damn good now. My $.02
Was it hard to do? And how much did you spend?

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Hard to do..... well time consuming may be more descriptive than hard. There's a pretty damn good DIY on the 'tex... and it's on here somewhere too.. Cost me next to nothing. 25 for the LOC and 60 for a 10" Q-Logic enclosure.. I went with a box designed for a pickup truck as it is less intrusive on trunk space. Of course I had the Audiobahn hardware sitting in my closet from my previous car.. there's little stuff like tapping a fuse for the remote power and shit. All in all, a 4 out of 10 install IMO

Links:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3261078

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome man, thanks a lot for the info. I'll probably attempt something similar.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
don't hesitate to ask questions, and try to find more than 1 DIY.. I had about 3 on my comp screen that I referenced thru the ordeal..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Personally I think the stock system is pretty good- not great! I traded an '05 GTO in on my '08 GTI and the GTI's system is 2 or 3 steps above the factory system in the GTO in sound quality and way more "upgradable". The GTO had the fuel tank behind the rear seat -in the trunk- which made it a pain to do any kind of sub install -in the trunk or the rear deck- and have any kind of useable trunk space. I also had in mind the idea of the converter just to add a sub for now cuz i've got 2 Alumapro 10's and some Zapco equip. ready to wake the neighbors!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I really like the stock system. I've never owned a vehicle with any sound modifications, or a sub, but as far as other stock systems I've heard, my GTI's is the best.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is the system in the 2008 the same as the previous 2 years? I think the system in my 2006 sucks ass. I liked the Monsoon system in the MkIV way better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
actually i completly disagree. i have had multliple cars with upgrades jl systems as well as boston acoustics and by no means does it compare to these but its not bad...but then again i have the monsoon system in my mk4 so i don't know if you guys have just the basic model or if the mk5 just suck

·
Registered
321 Posts
I can't speak for the '07 or '08 models, but the '06 system is no where near as nice as the Monsoon. My brother has a MkIV Golf with the Monsoon and it sounds way better.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah mine was an 06' and it blew ass...my G35 has a bose system and it's great...looking forward to hearing what the 08 system sounds like when I get rid of this G35...booooo

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
It's just OK - nothing like the Bose system I had in my '01 S4 - but way better than most stock systems.

My wife has a Volvo XC90 with Surround Sound system which sounds great but radio reception on hers is super awful - My GTI gets great radio reception.

I have currently the 3-month free satelite radio subscription from VW - Anyone else has problems with the Sat. going through puddles or taking quick corners. Mine loses it's feed for about half/second (extremely annoying, that's why I won't renew after the trail)

·
Registered
158 Posts
My sat loses the feed under big underpasses sometimes, but it's not frequent/long enough to annoy me. Never had it lose it at any other time than that.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had sat in my old GTI, and mine was great. I never lost feed, except underpasses. I don't know about the stock system. I had an 06 like I said, and it sucked balls....I was so dissapointed...especially considering that my sticker said..."PREMIUM SOUND"....I say bologna.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Vegas Fahrenheit said:
It's just OK - nothing like the Bose system I had in my '01 S4 - but way better than most stock systems.

My wife has a Volvo XC90 with Surround Sound system which sounds great but radio reception on hers is super awful - My GTI gets great radio reception.

I have currently the 3-month free satelite radio subscription from VW - Anyone else has problems with the Sat. going through puddles or taking quick corners. Mine loses it's feed for about half/second (extremely annoying, that's why I won't renew after the trail)
did you have an FM modulator hooked up with your satelite radio, and where was your antenna mounted? was it profesionally installed?

·
Registered
312 Posts
oh ok gotcha. i was just seing if it had an FM mod because what that is its a little box that your factory antenna plugs into then a replica antenna cable from the box plugs into your stereo, then there is another wire coming from the box that plugs into the satelite reciver so instead of getting crappy signal you get good signal because its running straight through your factory antenna. its weird to hear you say you dont like sat radio because everyone that has had it usualy says that they will never go back to regular radio. sucks that it cuts out though

1 - 20 of 76 Posts