Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its stock exhaust, but common... my 2.0L 1998 Golf had more cabin noise than the mk4 gti... I want to hear the road and my surroundings, I'm all about the driving experience, not luxury! Anyone else resolve this "issue" on their GTI's? haha... Like did VW put a crap load of soundproofing or something? Right now the only way I could hear the road or my car is to open the windows... but its still freaking winter lol.

I want to hear my car more, without tearing out the important bits like carpet, seats, etc... Like is there any soundproofing hiding somewhere that I could get rid of?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
You are one of the first people that I have met that actually wants to hear road noise. O0 I just turn down the radio in my MKV and then I can hear my car the whole time. Also, get an intake and you will hear the turbo more. O0

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Haha the damn guy wants to hear road noise, priceless.

Sent from SKYROCKET
StockMOD v2.0
Stock-ish 0.3

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i think you are crazy if you want to hear more road noise

yes the mk4 have a lot more sound proofing then a mk3

i know, cause i own both cars and i want to sound proof my mk3

get an exhaust, thats the only thing you should be wanting to hear

not the road

·
Registered
556 Posts
A comparison between a vehicle from 1998 and an mkiv vehicle is pretty funny. I would take a guess that the mkiv is heavier, and safer, that grind your gears too?

My mkiv was quiet from the start, but after a turbo back and intake I enjoy the sounds I hear. I don't however want to hear road noise

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
lol u could try noisier tires?

but definitely intake and exhaust

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
lol u could try noisier tires?

but definitely intake and exhaust
Ahhhh yes. Really hard crappy Walmart tires

Sent from SKYROCKET
StockMOD v2.0
Stock-ish 0.3

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ahhhh yes. Really hard crappy Walmart tires

Sent from SKYROCKET
StockMOD v2.0
Stock-ish 0.3
This, or throw on some bad wheel bearings, some brakes that are worn through, and at that point you could start hearing some sh!t

·
Registered
142 Posts
Try massing up your clutch, then you would hear the throw-out-bearing going out...
OR
Apply brake without having enough meat on the pads, then you would hear the disks being scratched...
OR
if you are one of those bad luck people out there (like me) the AC compressor bearing squeals enough for you that you would never wish to hear anything except your stereo.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you wanna hear your car ...ill trade you my mk3 with bad wheel bearings all around except driver side..slowly replacing one at a time as they get worse lol ... also got an exhaust and short ram intake for other effects...oh and vr6 engine mount vibrations too :) trade yah ...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
This thread =

1 - 16 of 16 Posts