Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I purchased the TNTuning "open bumper side vents":

Anyone else running these with a CAI? I have two questions:

First, should I just install them w/o the back "air guides"? The one for the driver side looks like it would make the air go away from the CAI, the one on the right is just a blanking plate... so should I use them (the air guide and the plate?)?

Second, if I run them open- should I back them with a mesh to keep larger debris/bugs out?

I'm trying to think of a way to make brake vents outta them and increase air to the CAI.

Thx! ;D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well you said it, they are supposed to brake vents. Personally I think the air guide is useless and kinda cheap so I just popped mine off. In fact, mine only came with the air guide on the driver's side and just plain open on the passenger.

I didn't install the CAI extension tube yet so I can't really say much about the need to mesh. It would probably be a good Idea though. You would have to do the center grille too for visual balance. If not done properly you could end up looking kinda ricey.

For $45 bucks I had to get them, I think they complete the front end better than just the solid fog plates.

If you mesh I wanna see, I might need to copy you. Hell, now that you mentioned it, I'm gonna paint some mesh red and slap it in just to see how it looks!!

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
22350 said:
. You would have to do the center grille too for visual balance. If not done properly you could end up looking kinda ricey.
But they'll match my red neon lights under the car ;)

(I keed! I keed!
)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought my open air vents through ECS, only one has a plastic backing on it (drivers side), and is filters the air directly on the CAI filter. Until I got these I don't really know of any inlet for the CAI. I think it helped it out pretty well. The car is chipped and the CAI does suck in a lot of air. Well, as long as you are able to deliver it to the filter. I highly recommend the Open Fog light Covers from ECS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
These open covers were some of the first cosmetic parts I bought for my Fast. Originally I installed them without the "air guides" behind the openings.

Now that I just put in a Neuspeed CAI I remembered those pieces in the back of the garage and decided to install the drivers side guide.

Here is a picture of how it "funnels" the air directly onto the filter.

The weather has been perfect the past couple days, but I am a little worried about how much water will be "funneled" along with the air onto my filter when it rains.
I know the air filter getting wet from splash will only hinder performance temporarily, not hurt the engine - but I will be keeping an eye on just how wet the filter gets in normal rain or when driving behind other cars.
(and yes, I will be staying away from river crossings and foot-deep puddles :))

Without the air guide the filter is not as much in the direct path of the incoming air/water, so I may give that a try - or perhaps even funnel the air to the filter indirectly.

Here is a picture of the set-up from above - nothing out of the ordinary. The engine is otherwise still stock, so I realize the CAI extension is a bit overkill ATM - I would have been happy with just the P-Flo, but got both as a great package deal and couldn't resist installing it just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have these too, easiest install I have ever done. I heard the vent on the driver's side isn't for the brakes (otherwise there would be one on both sides, it only makes sense) I heard its to cool down the DSG.

Needless to say I popped off the blank plate and the air direct vent and run them both wide open.

Nevermind bugs and debris they shouldn't cause that much damage.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had to remove mine because it wouldn't fit with the silicone hose from my forge fmic. Then again, I didn't need it anyways cuz I'm running the EVOMS CAI.

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
yeah, the guide on the driver side is ment for "hot climate" cars. the dsg would have an extra oil cooler to where that little went would blow air. i simply removed the guide on mine and put them on. i figure they might help blow some cooler air under the hood and further help out my short ram intake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts