Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my brother's coworkers is moving out of state and had a bunch of audio equipment that he was getting rid of.
I got a 12" audiobahn sub (alum 12q), audiobahn enclosure (wrapped in leather not carpet) , and a Lanzar 200.2 sub...all for $50

Ive never even heard of Lanzar, but the amp looks nice. It's only 380W RMS bridged, and the sub is a 1000W RMS (2000W Peak)

http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.asp?model=OPTI200.2

Audiobahn has never impressed me, but i couldnt turn down the price

1) has anyone ever heard of Lanzar?

2) Am I going to have an issue powering a 1000W sub...with only a 400W amp?

3) would I be better off just selling this stuff on ebay and going with higher end products (as origionally planned)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lanzar is a very reputable company when it comes to subs, amps?? Audiobahn makes great products as well, that last a long time, therefore are Expensive. A 1000w RMS sub, which I doubt that sub is (not many on the market are) powered by a 400w amp. Think about it like this. Do you like to listen to your music really low, or do you want to buy a new amp? With that amp you wouldn't be able to turn your sub up very high before risking imminent burn out of your amp. And I do believe the point behind a 1000w sub is for it to be LOUD. It will work and power your sub but in a very short time, or one night of cruising with your friends and some girl loves the song on the radio and turns it up LOUDER, you have two options:
1) be that dick who instantly smacks her hand away from you volume control
or
2) Starts thinking about how much a bigger more powerful amp is gunna set you back.
I don't know if this is info or a rant, but just know that you will be better off selling that amp and using that money and "for a few dollare more" buying a better amp, but that is in my humble opinion.
good luck with it and remember the better things in life ARE worth paying for.
American Express is my Best Friend

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well everywhere i have found, quotes the sub at 1000W RMS (2000W peak). The cone is solid aluminum and it is the heaviest sub ive ever seen.

I could see burning out the sub, if it was backwards (400W sub and a 1000W amp)...but why would the sub burn out when its only getting 1/2 the rated power input. That doesent make sense to me. So if i got a 1000W amp... to power the 1000W sub....it wouldnt burn?

I wonder how much i can get for that amp?

·
Registered
9 Posts
my freind had 2 jl audio w7's and when he first got them he was powering them with a 400 watt rockford amp and it lasted him almost a year before it burnt out so you never know. i have a 600 watt amp powering a 900 watt sub and its more than enough power. i wouldnt so much look at the power rating of the sub but the brand and quality. rockford fosgate makes a mean amp, and so does alpine. Lanzar=shit

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
from what i remember of car audio, when i was all into it, u want ur amps RMS within 80% of ur subs RMS.

an important note to consider is the subs sensitivity, the lower the number the less power it will require to make a sound

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im just gonna sell them all on ebay. No point in trying to piece together a system from mix match components. Id rather use the money on nice stuff than try and make it work

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
thats probably the best idea, reason i didnt bother putting in the system i used to have in my Jetta III.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts