Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the area and just got my FAST and was hoping someone could help me out on where i could get my exhaust done or have a kit installed or anything really, from what i've read i have to drive to alabama to get an APR chip, which sucks. but if anyone knows of anything close for some mods. Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
747 Posts
I am in Potomac...there are a few around here, including a REVO dealer on the Pike if you are interested (more power than APR O0 )

I got my tints done at this new place called Driven Dynamics (www.drivendynamics.com )
These guys are really cool, they do tints and clear bra right now, but they are about to send out a huge parts order so if you want anything you would get a better price by going through them...if you are interested, ask to talk to Art, he's the main guy there
if you order the parts through them they will offer the install, but I'm almost positive that they would just do the install if you already have the parts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
man thanks thats awsome, i've heard alot of good things about the apr, price isn't bad around (500), and you can set it to stock mode and valet, does REVO have that? also I don't know if you know much about REVO, but for anyone, is REVO as reliable? It's an 07 and the warranty is a kick in the butt so if it's not really a reliable chip i may think otherwise.
Thanks for the great info!

·
Registered
530 Posts
bryoung said:
man thanks thats awsome, i've heard alot of good things about the apr, price isn't bad around (500), and you can set it to stock mode and valet, does REVO have that? also I don't know if you know much about REVO, but for anyone, is REVO as reliable? It's an 07 and the warranty is a kick in the butt so if it's not really a reliable chip i may think otherwise.
Thanks for the great info!
Dragon is a HUGE REVO fan, he'll fill you in real soon. [gti]

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yea I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about REVO, I visited the North American Motorsports shop in CT, and they sport REVO and say its really good. I've also heard that if you drive your car hard with a REVO chip, your engine wont last as long as it should.
but, like NVGTI said, I would wait to see what Dragon has to say

About the mode switching, I am pretty sure that REVO has that too. they have something called an SPS unit, which is basically a little remote you plug into your car to set it to different settings (of course you have to pay for that feature)

Another thing I've heard is that REVO is the hardest to detect for the dealership...they really would have to dig into your CPU to find it

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
bryoung said:
I'm new to the area and just got my FAST and was hoping someone could help me out on where i could get my exhaust done or have a kit installed or anything really, from what i've read i have to drive to alabama to get an APR chip, which sucks. but if anyone knows of anything close for some mods. Please let me know. Thanks
Here are your three closest Revo dealers:

Pro-Imports
located approx. 12 miles from your zip code
12343 Carroll Ave
Maryland, USA
Phone: 301 881 4905
www.pro-imports.com

JRP USA
located approx. 26 miles from your zip code
503 McCormick Drive Suite J
Glen Burnie, MD, USA
Phone: 443 557 0086
www.jrponline.com

SSI Service and Performance
located approx. 41 miles from your zip code
1735 East Joppa Road
Parkville, Maryland, USA
Phone: 410 668 1100
www.ssiauto.com

·
Registered
857 Posts
Dragon worships REVO

Manricky worships APR

GTfly worships GIAC

I'm sure they'll all give you their opinions. ie: "insert brand rocks! It's the only way to go"

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
10bv01 said:
Dragon worships REVO

Manricky worships APR

GTfly worships GIAC

I'm sure they'll all give you their opinions. ie: "insert brand rocks! It's the only way to go"
I'm not gonna talk bad about APR or GIAC...

I will say I'm very happy with the Revo flash and if you decide to go up to stage II it's about $50 more than stage I.

What you will see with almost all ECU upgrades is that some parts may fail prematurely... it doesn't happen all the time. Those parts would be the diverter valve and the PCV valve.

The Revo software is probably the most aggressive... The dealers also have a time limited demo where they will flash it for 5 hours (APR also offers this).

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quick question for you Dragon, If I got the 5 hour REVO trial on my completely stock GTI, how high are my chances of blowing my DV valve?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
mattabaziou said:
Quick question for you Dragon, If I got the 5 hour REVO trial on my completely stock GTI, how high are my chances of blowing my DV valve?
06 or 07? It depends what DV is installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mattabaziou said:
I am in Potomac...there are a few around here, including a REVO dealer on the Pike if you are interested (more power than APR O0 )

I got my tints done at this new place called Driven Dynamics (www.drivendynamics.com )
These guys are really cool, they do tints and clear bra right now, but they are about to send out a huge parts order so if you want anything you would get a better price by going through them...if you are interested, ask to talk to Art, he's the main guy there
if you order the parts through them they will offer the install, but I'm almost positive that they would just do the install if you already have the parts.
How much did they charge you for tinting though?

·
Registered
747 Posts
[/quote]
I have an '07 model got it a month and a half ago

[/quote]
[/quote]
Well i got a special deal on it since I went with a friend of mine, plus they were trying to spread the word about their new place...I payed a little over $180...And they told me it was a difficult car to do

http://myfastgti.com/vw/vw_gti_images_photos_wallpapers/slapped_on_some_tint-t2041.0.html

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
mattabaziou said:
I have an '07 model got it a month and a half ago

[/quote]
[/quote]
Well i got a special deal on it since I went with a friend of mine, plus they were trying to spread the word about their new place...I payed a little over $180...And they told me it was a difficult car to do

http://myfastgti.com/vw/vw_gti_images_photos_wallpapers/slapped_on_some_tint-t2041.0.html

[/quote]

If you have a late model 07, you are less likely to encounter an issue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
say i would have some issues, like the dv valve, when that happens will my car just fail or will i get a ch eck engine light? will i know it happens and is it hard to fix those problems?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
bryoung said:
say i would have some issues, like the dv valve, when that happens will my car just fail or will i get a ch eck engine light? will i know it happens and is it hard to fix those problems?
Worst case scenarios (which are not that common)-

A few things could happen:

-You could loose boost
-You could get a CEL (check engine light)
-You also could go into "limp mode"
-You could blow the diaphragm on the stock DV

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, say one of those happened how much money do you think i'd be spending at most to fix something like that, again thanks for the help, i just really don't want to screw this up. I'm new to the whole chipping process and right now am very interested in getting it done.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
bryoung said:
ok, say one of those happened how much money do you think i'd be spending at most to fix something like that, again thanks for the help, i just really don't want to screw this up. I'm new to the whole chipping process and right now am very interested in getting it done.
An after-market hybrid DV from Forge costs about $250

The OEM valve is less than $100 (IIRC)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts