Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Back in 2008 I started a thread to document my efforts to develop a dash-top display to show speed or revs and what gear my DSG was in. See
http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/threads/4090-DSG-Dashtop-Display.

The resulting prototype looked terrible but it did work . In fact it worked so well it followed me through three different GTI's over the past 5 years.

However, technology has caught up with me and my old dash display has been retired from active service, replaced by an android tablet and some clever software apps. Here is the result:

car shot_s.jpg screen shot_s.jpg

The screen is an android tablet (Samsung Tab 7.7) and the app is TorquePro with the Racing Meter plug-in. The tablet currently is just sitting on top of the steering wheel until I decide on the final screen size and location. The tablet gets its data from the car via a bluetooth dongle plugged into the OBD2 port. Overall a much simpler and neater setup compared to my 2008 design. it is also much easier to add/remove gauges and change the look and position of them. Currently, I am displaying Gear, Speed, Revs, water temp, engine load, boost and clock with shift LEDs on the bottom row. You can create multiple different layouts and switch between them on the fly by touching the screen. Overall very pleased with the result.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No programming required. Just pick from a list of available parameters (speed, revs etc), pick gauge style (digital or dial), drop gauges onto the screen, adjust sizes of gauges and move them around till you get what you want. Gauge updates are very quick, no noticeable lag (except for the gear display which has to be calculated from revs and speed values so there is a lag of about 1 sec for it to update when you change gears).

Good stuff, So did you do any programming yourself or do the apps/dongle take care of decoding the outputs? What kind of delay/lag is there?

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Cool. Not sure if I would ever use it, but if you did a lot of tuning, it could be very useful!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two things I like about this type of display.
1. You get a nice big display of what gear you are in.
2. You get an accurate speed readout, not the poorly calibrated standard dash readout.

QUOTE=kootenaydub;290682]Cool. Not sure if I would ever use it, but if you did a lot of tuning, it could be very useful![/QUOTE]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts