Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and currently shopping for a GTI. I was driving a Acura RSX till last Thursday, and I'm looking to get into a GTI now. I have a specific question about a Gti i test drove saturday....I noticed what seemed to be an extremely loud air noise while i was driving the car, this was w/ windows closed, it sounded like a suction / vaccum, i had a cai on my rsx, but this sound was a little different...i started to play w/ the pedal and the noise was actually coming out during accel, not after i let off the gas. My impression is the blow off valve releases excess air after you let off the pedal, not during accel.....I'm thinking the valve is shot and the air is just cycling making the turbo work harder....if i decide to buy the car i am going to insist on a new valve and the air noise be fixed before i get into it, but i wanted to check and see if anyone has heard a similar noise, if it is a shot blow out valve or maybe this more than the valve....it was an 06 w/ 20k.
Any help is huge, thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Re: Blow Out Valve Noise During Acceleration

^^^ In particular does it have a cold air intake?

A stock GTI uses a diverter valve not a blow off valve and they do sound different.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

its a manual, sorry...no mods at all that i could see, and i poked my head around in there....no cai for sure...old owner didn't so much as put new pedal covers in, no mods at all....
the dealer told me he 'talked to a tech' and its the turbo for sure, i think hes full of it!
A friend has one, manual 06 same miles and no such sounds....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Dragon said:
^^^ In particular does it have a cold air intake?

A stock GTI uses a diverter valve not a blow off valve and they do sound different.
Still shouldnt be making any noise during accel, only when you let off gas, correct?

·
Registered
55 Posts
well when i first got the car and i drove it out of the dealership, i gave it some poke and i heard some suction sounds coming from the engine..well thats the turbo spooling which happens around 2500 rpm (i think). I still love the exhaust fart sounds when you shift. ;D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess it could be a normal sound, never had a car w/ a turbo before, so im not familiar...

·
Registered
55 Posts
its all good. when you get the car chipped, the turbo spools much quicker and IMO, its lounder...sounds even cooler with an CAI. i have evoms in my car..and its great :)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Considering it's an 06, there could be an issue with the diaphragm on the diverter valve (being torn or wore out).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dragon said:
Considering it's an 06, there could be an issue with the diaphragm on the diverter valve (being torn or wore out).
thanks,
w/ just 20k thats probably a sure sign the last owner beat the living crap out of it...How long should that valve last anyway, more than 20k i assume...

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Maker said:
Dragon said:
thanks
Make sure if you insist on a new valve, make sure it's the one out of the 07 (version C), or look into an aftermarket DV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dragon said:
Maker said:
Dragon said:
thanks
Make sure if you insist on a new valve, make sure it's the one out of the 07 (version C), or look into an aftermarket DV.
would that keep you away from the car?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
No... DV's break- if you are gonna keep the car stock- it's a warranty item. If you plan on modding, it's one of the things in the top5 list to upgrade.

It's also a good idea to have a qualified mechanic/shop/dealer go through the car before purchase.

A factory DV is about $60 bucks and about an hour to replace.

If your buddy with the GTI has vag-com- you may want to do a diagnostic dump off the car's ECU before purchase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dragon said:
No... DV's break- if you are gonna keep the car stock- it's a warranty item. If you plan on modding, it's one of the things in the top5 list to upgrade.

It's also a good idea to have a qualified mechanic/shop/dealer go through the car before purchase.

If your buddy with the GTI has vag-com- you may want to do a diagnostic dump off the car's ECU before purchase.
No VAG-COM, I wish..
No plans of serious mod's, maybe an intake, simple things...no cat back or nothing...id probably do the valve eventually tho, maybe an intake
good to hear they do brake, im thinking this kid beat the ever living crap out of this poor car.
150 bucks is nothing if thats all it is :)
The only problem w/ getting it to a mechanic is that the cars about 45 minutes north of me, its at a lexus dealership, trade in no dout,
and i cant see them sending to a mechanic up there at my request unless no one else is talking to them about it at all...there gonna want to keep it in their shop and have already expressed that to me...'our guys will check that out and ill get back to you' he said
he called me today and said its normal, i know hes full of shit...next time i talk to him i was gonna ask him specifically if a mechanic looked at it and if i could talk to that mechanic.....bla bla bla,

·
Registered
55 Posts
if it is the DV. get the new forge dv. 249.99.

heck my tuner wanted 150 for the installation. ill rather install it myself on a lil 4 ton jack >:D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Maker said:
Dragon said:

No VAG-COM, I wish..
No plans of serious mod's, maybe an intake, simple things...no cat back or nothing...id probably do the valve eventually tho, maybe an intake
good to hear they do brake, im thinking this kid beat the ever living crap out of this poor car.
150 bucks is nothing if thats all it is :)
The only problem w/ getting it to a mechanic is that the cars about 45 minutes north of me, its at a lexus dealership, trade in no dout,
and i cant see them sending to a mechanic up there at my request unless no one else is talking to them about it at all...there gonna want to keep it in their shop and have already expressed that to me...'our guys will check that out and ill get back to you' he said
he called me today and said its normal, i know hes full of shit...next time i talk to him i was gonna ask him specifically if a mechanic looked at it and if i could talk to that mechanic.....bla bla bla,
I'd strongly suggest if you buy it- split the cost of the vag-com with your buddy O0

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Maker said:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and currently shopping for a GTI. I was driving a Acura RSX till last Thursday, and I'm looking to get into a GTI now. I have a specific question about a Gti i test drove saturday....I noticed what seemed to be an extremely loud air noise while i was driving the car, this was w/ windows closed, it sounded like a suction / vaccum, i had a cai on my rsx, but this sound was a little different...i started to play w/ the pedal and the noise was actually coming out during accel, not after i let off the gas. My impression is the blow off valve releases excess air after you let off the pedal, not during accel.....I'm thinking the valve is shot and the air is just cycling making the turbo work harder....if i decide to buy the car i am going to insist on a new valve and the air noise be fixed before i get into it, but i wanted to check and see if anyone has heard a similar noise, if it is a shot blow out valve or maybe this more than the valve....it was an 06 w/ 20k.
Any help is huge, thanks!
definitly either the turbo of the DV. most likely just the turbo spooling up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well thanks everyone for your thoughts, i appreciate it.

The final word from the dealer after wayyyyy to much back and forth is the the car has an after market DV. They kept calling it blow out too, anyway, i'm all set w/ buying any used car that has any kind of mods what so ever, i want a virgin, especially the way this dealership handled it. My gut tells me someone beat the s#!t out of it and ditched it as a trade in, or maybe even defaulted on the loan...

Hopefully I can find a GTI i feel comfortable w/ cause they are doooopppppeeeee, but no luck yet and till then im shopping for a rsx type-s, the car i almost had, after all my base treated me right for three years.

peace peace

maker

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.