Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have only had my fast for a month, am in Md. and am showing the air bag fault on startup. then warning light stays on. have an appt. mon. morning @ Sharretts in hagerstown ,MD. service mgr. said thur. i would have to come back because his tech was out for the holiday week :-[ wish me luck ya'll

·
Registered
193 Posts
the sensor in the buckle(where it clicks in) of the seatbelts on the mk5's are prone to failure...... so ur airbag light would be on...... thats the most common.... let us kno

·
Registered
125 Posts
My old pickup's airbag light used to come on all the time. It was because the alternator had a bad connection with the battery. I guess the ECM's set up so that if airbag relay isn't getting enough current, it sets off the sensor. I don't think that would be your problem though, being that the car is still new and my truck was 9 years old at the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't be seatbelt connection. ..on startup before strapping in ,a ding sounds & i get an airbag fault warning from the info center. shuttle just brought me home, awaiting diagnosis.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sharretts took care of the problem in three hours. factory said was becoming a potential problem with the side bag sensors and was instructed to hardwire seats. dealer provided shuttle dropoff and pickup 8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've only had my GTI for 4 months...haven't even reached my first oil change and I have to bring it in on Sat. for the airbag fault light. My horn doesn't work either and they say that the air bag won't go off if I get into an accident. I will let you know what the problem is when they fix it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Airbag light on my Mk4 went off because the wires running to the buckle had snapped from people getting in and out of the back seat... A soldering gun and VagCom fixed that one in about 30 minutes. Only problem is now the buckle is zip tied toghter...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my GTI 20th Ann. Ed. My airbag light came on last year and so I took it to the dealer. First they told me I was going to have to pay for all the parts to be replaced, I believe $2k, b/c they said the seat belt harness and all this stuff had to be replaced. It ended up being covered under warranty and they fixed it within a day or so. Here is comes many months later and I just paid off my car, and the airbag light is back on. I made an appt to put it in the shop tomorrow so I will let you know what the outcome is. Also, my check engine light has been on for monnnths. I did my own diagnostic test with some software my boyfriend has and it is some sensor. That's just another issue. Along with this, I get coupons in the mail from the dealership every couple of months, and they are running a special right now for $49.95 to do a "check engine light" diagnostic. How nice of them to lower the price!! The stupid thing should not come on.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
ya, im sure everyone has gotten the air bag fault at some point hah. Get it scanned nd removed, its probably nothing. Hey, isn't that chime annoying when u first start the car. Believe it or not, I actually got use to the sound hah. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts