Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an '07 GTI yesterday -- Black, package #2, 17" wheels, automatic. the "Service Manager" gave me a tremendously long pitch (accompanied by a glossy binder with pretty pictures) of all the aftermarket stuff I should "really consider" for my new vehicle -- e.g., undercoating, clearcoating, extended warranty, interior upholstery protection, etc. I didn't buy any of it because I wanted to get the straight scoop from real GTI owners. So, what say you all --- What kind of aftermarket stuff do I REALLY need on my new GTI? I live in the Baltimore MD/Washington DC area where the roads are salted and driving is always a challenge. I plan on washing the car at least every two weeks or more often if required. I'm not a mechanic and plan to take the car to the VW dealership for regular servicing. Do I need an extended warranty, clearcoating, undercoating, etc? Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Yeah get the rubber floormats. Although my conditions aren't as bad as Thalo's, they catch all the mud and water in the little cups. Just hose them off and good as new! I've been thinking about getting the "body kit" through the dealer. I don't like big showy body kits, just something simple.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Haha, yeah, it's really bad.

My car looks even worse now than in the pictures I took last weekend before I washed it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got that extra coating to protect against bird poop and stuff. I don't know if it's worth it or not, but it sounded good. I also got extended warranty on the tires, it was a good deal and they are expensive to replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank-you for the responses. I DID buy the rubber floor mats and they already look like the pics you all posted...I'll look into the clearcoat stuff...Am also thinking of getting the windows tinted just a bit...

·
Registered
81 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
Yeah get the rubber floormats. Although my conditions aren't as bad as Thalo's, they catch all the mud and water in the little cups. Just hose them off and good as new! I've been thinking about getting the "body kit" through the dealer. I don't like big showy body kits, just something simple.
I got 2 sets of floor mats with my 06 GTI, rubber and regulars ;D and i didnt even ask for it.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
If you have the cloth interior- it would not hurt to put some ScocthGuard on it: It will make the car stink to all hell- but will give you some extra protection from stains. There is an automotive version avaialble at pepboys/autozone etc.

The only thing extra I bought from the dealer was the LoJack/EWS system... The EWS (Early Warning System) works on a proximity key fob... if the car is moved w/o the fob: Lojack will call/page/txt and e-mail you to ask if you know where your is (thus eliminating the lag time to notify the cops that your car is gone).

I'm doing my own clearcoat treatment and I'll post in the detailing thread how it works.

As far as the undercoat goes: I belive VW covers body corrosion in the warranty; I'm taking a stab at the idea that it already has a decent undercoating from Germany. Then again- I'm not driving on salted or sanded roads on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Dragon said:
If you have the cloth interior- it would not hurt to put some ScocthGuard on it: It will make the car stink to all hell- but will give you some extra protection from stains. There is an automotive version avaialble at pepboys/autozone etc.

The only thing extra I bought from the dealer was the LoJack/EWS system... The EWS (Early Warning System) works on a proximity key fob... if the car is moved w/o the fob: Lojack will call/page/txt and e-mail you to ask if you know where your is (thus eliminating the lag time to notify the cops that your car is gone).

I'm doing my own clearcoat treatment and I'll post in the detailing thread how it works.

As far as the undercoat goes: I belive VW covers body corrosion in the warranty; I'm taking a stab at the idea that it already has a decent undercoating from Germany. Then again- I'm not driving on salted or sanded roads on a regular basis.
How much did it cost?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
The LoJack/EWS was $895 hardware and installation (sale price)...

No monthly fees... and depending on your auto insurance you could get a discount (my didn't- but I've already had 1 car stolen from me and no way do I wanna go thru that crap again: At least with the lojack- there is a chance not only to get the car back, but catch the scumbags).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Zen2Me said:
Just purchased an '07 GTI yesterday -- Black, package #2, 17" wheels, automatic. the "Service Manager" gave me a tremendously long pitch (accompanied by a glossy binder with pretty pictures) of all the aftermarket stuff I should "really consider" for my new vehicle -- e.g., undercoating, clearcoating, extended warranty, interior upholstery protection, etc. I didn't buy any of it because I wanted to get the straight scoop from real GTI owners. So, what say you all --- What kind of aftermarket stuff do I REALLY need on my new GTI? I live in the Baltimore MD/Washington DC area where the roads are salted and driving is always a challenge. I plan on washing the car at least every two weeks or more often if required. I'm not a mechanic and plan to take the car to the VW dealership for regular servicing. Do I need an extended warranty, clearcoating, undercoating, etc? Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!
the rubber floor mats are a must.

The only other thing I did was put the "road block" 3m film on the front end and mirrors (it's a clear adhesive bra) I will never buy another new car and not out that stuff on. I almost didn't take delivery of the car because I didn't want to drive the car on the highway and chip the front end paint before it was put on.

I never but the extended warranties because I never keep cars past the factory warranty. I get bored very quick and put about 22,000 miles a year on my cars. so about every 2 years I get a new car. I'm on my 3rd new gti since Feb of 03.

forget about the undercoating , it's a scam the shit don't work.

"clearcoating" or "simonizing" ..... o.k. so they wax your car for you and charge how many hundreds of dollars and the shit wears off after 3 car washes. forget that crap.

forget about the road hazard for tires , 90% of the time they will find a reason to NOT warranty them and when it comes time for new tires or if you mangle a wheel just go to tirerack.com or something similar and you can get a whole wheel and tire package for what it would cost to replace 1 of the factory wheels. The 18's on my gti are $600 each roughly. You can get a sick set of rimes with nice tires for like $1200

·
Registered
263 Posts
well i just bought a black pkg1, but if i were you guys, id buy a radar detector as my first mod. im not one of those crazy kids who just punches it all the time, but damn, my fast keeps telling me to go 20 over the limit lol. after that ill prolly get tint and bodykit.

oh and what do you guys hear about chipping. do the dealers usually catch that? cuz i was thinking of going apr chip and exhaust, but i have a 60k powertrain warranty, so im kindof nervous about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You know I want to get that chip as well, but you do know that it is not actually a chip, a tech at VW told me that it's a program they install on your computer, he said he could find me a guy that could install it for 700$ ( can.). Although i would have to go see him if something malfunctioned...he's 10 hours away from where I live, the tech at VW. He also said that I should get the program from neuspeed. But i'm also worried about the warranty, if they find out you void it, so i might wait till it runs out first. so it's worth the risk if your up to it, you you good gains in both hp and torque.

·
Registered
263 Posts
yeah thats why im looking at apr, because they are the most trusted in vw/audi tuning, so its not as sketchy getting their chip as opposed to other companies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im about to aftermarket my '07 BM GTI. Im wondering if I should go performance route first i.e; engine chip, lowering springs, sway bar etc. or should I do the cosmetic first i.e; carbon fiber front grille maw, hood, side mirrors, door handles(and if any has seen anymore cf parts available a link would be greatly appreciated). Popular vote wins and pics will be to follow. Also for the originator of this post, Get the paint protection on the BM. I sell VW's in Chicago and I see the damage from salt all the time. Especially if you're thinking lowering springs or body kit pony up the extra grand for the protection, it'll be worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Evaspilot said:
Im about to aftermarket my '07 BM GTI. Im wondering if I should go performance route first i.e; engine chip, lowering springs, sway bar etc. or should I do the cosmetic first i.e; carbon fiber front grille maw, hood, side mirrors, door handles(and if any has seen anymore cf parts available a link would be greatly appreciated). Popular vote wins and pics will be to follow. Also for the originator of this post, Get the paint protection on the BM. I sell VW's in Chicago and I see the damage from salt all the time. Especially if you're thinking lowering springs or body kit pony up the extra grand for the protection, it'll be worth it.
The only exterior mods I have done so far, are the clear bra, tint and eyelids.
I'd love to do a c/f front and hood, but I want to keep the car as close to stock on the outside as possible.

As for the performance mods; I've done the REVO "chip", Neuspeed cat-back exhaust and a K&N. I have an appointment next Friday with the folks at Stasis engineering for their sport touring suspension package install and my P-flow complete kit is on order :)

Hopefully before July, I'll have the REVO stageII and the new forge DV...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.