Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this but after installing an mod like and intake someone told me you should disconnect the battery to reset the ECU so it will learn the new air flow. Is this true and will I see any difference in performance? OR should I not worry about it?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I never thought about that. :eek:

I obviously didn't do it either and I can say that the car figures it out on its own. O0

·
Registered
749 Posts
I've seen this same recommendation several times before and have never done it. It seems kinda dumb to me. If I make a change that affects the ECU trim levels and don't reset the ECU, it's gonna have to learn the new trim levels and update on the next cycle. If I do the same mod but DO reset the ECU, it still has to run a cycle to update the trims. In the meantime, it'll be using defaults or nulls anyway.

If you're doing mods progressively, I'd think it'd be better NOT to reset the ECU, since the trim levels should keep moving in the same direction (ala more fuel) with each mod.

Of course, if you do something drastic (like a new turbo) you'll have to reset the ECU, because the mod should come with a new firmware anyway.

Naturally, this will be up for debate (read: bring it on) but I say don't bother: it'll just force you to have to reprogram your favorite radio stations.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I know how that goes. I surprise myself sometimes too. Every once in a while something comes out of my mouth or as in this case, my fingertips, that just makes it seem like I know something. Occasions like this are rare, but very rewarding. Thanks.

BTW 22350, I got mesmerized by your avatar for about five minutes yesterday. I want that time back. ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts