Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents.

I tried taking out the engine cover yesterday to put a K&N drop-in filter. I followed instructions, but seems to me the rubber mounting points are to tight for the "pulling" to work. Short of just breaking the thing, I gave it a series of very "solid" pulls .... and nothing. I spend over an hour ... I shaked it a bit, a lot ... and nothing.

Are there any tricks I?

I tried with a cold engine and a hot one - hopping the heat would soften the rubber.

I will try using a syringe to put a bit of oil on each point (tricky due to location). Maybe that will help.

Anyone in the northern VA region that has done it and wants to donate five minutes?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Looks like you're in a real pickle dude! :-\ LOL...just kiddin'...it will seem as though the engine cover is going to be difficult at first, but just start with one corner at a time. Use a series of firm pulls on the cover...keeping tension on the cover the whole time. It might be a little slower than pulling the whole thing off, but it will keep you from breaking anything and the little rubber grommets won't go scooting across the floor! O0 As far as temp, my engine was fairly cool when I took off the cover to put on the P-flow....

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
It will feel like you are about to break it the first time it comes off.

Rubber expands while it's hot, so a cold engine compartment is usually ideal.

When you get the thing off- make sure when you go to put it back on that you lightly lube the rubber grommets with vaseline.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll do the one corner at the time. Which one first?

Many thanks for the positive thoughts.

:p

·
Premium Member
10,066 Posts
Gunny Lol That Would Be An Excellent Idea . Dragon Is Right ..... Just Make Sure Ur Not Pullin On The Silverish Colored Plastic .... Make Sure All The Screws R Out And Give It Sum Nice Pulls On The Black Parts.

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
its a bitch to get out. i cracked mine in the process. didnt really care for it though. just pull really hard.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Definately take Dragon's advice and lube the grommets. I did it and it worked like a charm next time I took off the cover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.