Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, a newbie here... I'm buying a new GTI tomorrow and am faced with a decision on audio. Any advice is really appreciated before I sign the dotted line.

Considerations are cost, theft avoidance, attractiveness, and features. Feature-wise, it would be nice to access my phone address book or ipod library from the head unit.

I thought of three options for audio. Maybe there are other options, too.

1. Go with the basic audio system offered on the GTI. As you already know, it has bluetooth, sat, and audio aux for connecting an mp3 player. Maybe it will be enough for me. Any comments on this unit?

2. Buy a car with option 1 audio, then possibly upgrade to an after-market system like the Pioneer AVH-P3300BT. I can get it bought and installed for about $650 locally. I am wondering if it will look good in the GTI, invite break-ins, and otherwise work well. Anyone using an after-market unit they really like or hate?

3. Go with the stock RCD 510 touch-screen radio. You can control a phone and ipod through an interface cable. Cool. But to get this radio, you have to buy the sunroof too, and the cost for both is $2000. I don't care about the sunroof, so it would be a big chunk of change for that radio. Any comments on this unit and how it compares to an after-market model?

Thanks for any guidance for this excited GTI buyer!!

Terry

·
Registered
256 Posts
i have an old pioneer in mine and love it... if you want to see how it looks i have some pics up.. i know there are a few other guys on here that have done something similar. i think most aftermarket double dins and nav screens look pretty decent, but can definitely attract more attention. the one good thing about an aftermarket system, you get a lot more control of the audio... that being said, if i were buying a new car, i would get the cheap audio system just so i can rip it all out and do it the way i want it... but that's just me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Nas179. I really appreciate seeing pics of the installation job!

Another thing I guess I could try is buying a RCD 510 from ebay, along with the MDI interface unit for the armrest, and get it installed by someone. Total cost would probably be about $1000. That's cheaper than getting the sunroof package.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts