My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying the GTI, one of the other cars must go! We can't figure out which one, though. Please help!

My 98 Honda Accord has been a workhorse of a car, clocking in at 220,000 miles. It has had NO mechanical problems and has received regular maintenance like clockwork. It just had all major belts replaced, too (owch, expensive).

My husband has an 03 Ford Focus with under 60,000 miles. It has had many many mechanical problems, so much so that it was settled on as a lemon through Ford.

Here is the question: We need to sell one or the other. The Focus will likely have more miles than the Honda left in it, but it has been a nightmare of hassles. The Honda is older and will probably begin to need major replacements/work in the next couple thousand miles (I'm guessing). The Honda can be sold for about $3000 while the Focus (after some body work) could be sold for 6-7k.

Which car should we keep and why? We are at a stalemate and could really use some outside advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Why don't you sell both and buy another used Accord w/ less miles? If not, I'd like to say keep the Accord (given its past history), but you will be running into major issues sooner or later at that mileage. So, I'd have to say keep your lemon. Seriously though, sell both and get another Accord if it worked well for you in the past.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would say get rid of the Fuckus. This car will probably continue to need repairs and then totally die at 100K miles. So, with either car you will be shelling out money to keep it running. You might as well keep the one you like.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Roughly 9-10k can buy a decent car until we pay off the GTI. Sounds good!

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
If the accord has been well maintained, you could probably get another 100K out of it.

I have a buddy (an AFM'er) who works for a Honda shop, who could do repairs fairly cheap. He does side jobs to support his racing habit. ;D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Dragon said:
If the accord has been well maintained, you could probably get another 100K out of it.

I have a buddy (an AFM'er) who works for a Honda shop, who could do repairs fairly cheap. He does side jobs to support his racing habit. ;D
With that kind of mileage, you will get no money for the Honda.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sell the focus, anyone I know with one has constant annoying problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Honda. We will be getting probably a Touareg in a year, so the Focus just has to last that long. I'm cleaning up the Honda to put it up on Craigslist this week! ;D

...Want a Honda? >:D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
mistyz23 said:
The Honda. We will be getting probably a Touareg in a year, so the Focus just has to last that long. I'm cleaning up the Honda to put it up on Craigslist this week! ;D

...Want a Honda? >:D
Toureg TDI?

·
Registered
245 Posts
kylmos said:
actually maybe if you can post some pics on here...my audi costs me 40-50 at the pump...no good lol
My GTI costs me 40-50 at the pump.

·
Registered
635 Posts
holy crap I thought it would be cheaper...what are you paying...here its 2.61 for what I need...across the street it was 2.81...how many miles do you usually get on a tank of gas...my 2.8L A6 Quattro gets about 300 on a good day...and thats all highway driving...in the city...could be 240 lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just paid 3.35/gal for premium at Costco.

I'm so jealous of your gas prices, but too stubborn to leave California. ;D

Dragon, yeah the TDI! ;D

·
Registered
245 Posts
I live in Canada and have to snicker each time an American complains about gas prices.

1 US gallons = 3.7854118 liters
$1.16/L * 3.7854118 = $4.39 a Gallon

Prices are crazy lately.

I should note that $1.16 is for REGULAR. It is generally more then $0.10 extra for Premium. So it is more like $4.77 a Gallon.
Today it was as high as $1.216/L for regular.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts