Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there.
do the cops give tickets when you accelerate quickly from a stop?

i dont know if i posted this in the right place!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really. i better stop doing that...
im from california. do you know any info for here?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think its like that pretty much everywhere. If a Cop sees you do it, and he deems you to be driving wrecklessly or if he thinks you are endangering others, it doesent matter what you are doing...he can write you up. However, i do believe it is at the officer's discretion.

Just be smart...if you see a cop...dont peel out from a stoplight. You're just asking for trouble. Might as well tell the cop "hey...im going to be speeding, driving wrecklessly, maybee even street racing...so watch me closely"

use some common sense

·
Registered
809 Posts
Common sense isnt so common most days. :'(

As for the op, yeah, they can get ya for exhibition if they feel so inclined to do. I got a couple warnings for taking off from a light really fast, was told I could get an exibition of speed ticket if the officer felt it was warranted. So, watch yourself or you might get an angry po po that wants to ticket ya.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I mean I got a wreckless driving ticket for taking a left hand turn on a green left turn signal light...I mean there might have been a little bit of tire noise..thats it lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been having the problem of forgetting or something and pressing down a bit harder than I need when I'm stopped, and it's like VROOM!!! aah, sorry! Like, I'm not trying to make a statement or show off, it just happens. I'll have to be careful not to do this at a stoplight. >:D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
B13 said:
but they give a ticket for a tiny mistake
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There are a lot of different factors if an Officer is gonna issue a ticket.

Your best bet is to have your car in working order (street legal), all the correct papers(your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance), be polite and honest (without admitting guilt) and there is a chance you could get a warning instead of a ticket.

However, if you get stopped for "Stupid in Public"; eg. In the middle of a burnout, being the only car goin 100 MPH through a school zone or... Nevermind you get the idea. Expect a ticket. Man up and take it. :-X

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have all the papers except i have a license insurance! what if i tell "i accidentally put the gear on N"?
1 more question. when i am going 50 in a 40mph zone and there are at cars, will i get a ticket or pulled over?

thanx!

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
B13 said:
1 more question. when i am going 50 in a 40mph zone and there are at cars, will i get a ticket or pulled over?
I don't know the exact law in NJ and how it's enforced. However, I do know how folks from Jersey drive ;D.

Let's say there is a group of 5 vehicles travelling at 50 in a 40 zone. The Officer could pull over all 5. I've seen it done. However, chances are that the Officer will focus in on a particular vehicle; It could be color of the vehicle, how the driver is driving (erratic lane changes- parking in the left lane, tailgating etc.), what the vehicle looks like (lots of stickers and and/or a big wing).

I can tell you that under certain conditions in California that you could drive 50 in a zone marked for 40 MPH. California's speeding rules are really complicated. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow thanx a lot. im not gona put any stickers, but i might put a spoiler :p
if dont tailgate a car then he will follow the one who tailgates, but in here they concentrate on the speed

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
B13 said:
if dont tailgate a car then he will follow the one who tailgates, but in here they concentrate on the speed
One or two stickers may be OK O0... just don't stick out like a sore thumb.

They concentrate on speed? Are you in the Pine Barrens?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was told that in Illinois you can be pulled over for excellerating off the line and reaching 60mph or 0-60 in under twelve seconds. I was told that this would be considered street racing. the guy who told me had already been arrested for street racing. This is what the officer told him was what the law really says. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dragon said:
B13 said:

nah stickers arent for me. im gona get the 2.0 and Turbo badges :)

seriously, they even chase someone that did a wrong turn.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
B13 said:
Dragon said:
B13 said:

nah stickers arent for me. im gona get the 2.0 and Turbo badges :)

seriously, they even chase someone that did a wrong turn.
I used to work down the shore (EMS/Beach RSQ in North Wildwood) and have yet to be impressed by Jersey cops. ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts