Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appologize ahead of time if this is a stupid question. I would like to be able to use things like the radio and the cig. lighter in the hatchback for charging my RC Truck, but it appears that their is no Acc. ON position to the key/ignition. Its either all on or all off. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
dgm said:
I appologize ahead of time if this is a stupid question. I would like to be able to use things like the radio and the cig. lighter in the hatchback for charging my RC Truck, but it appears that their is no Acc. ON position to the key/ignition. Its either all on or all off. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
Nope. Power outlets only work with the key on. The factory radio, however, will work without the key. Push the "On" button and the radio will come on for about an hour

·
Registered
44 Posts
jgo has it right on, and if i'm not mistaken, there is another feature called "key sense" and it allows the radio to stay on after the car has been turned off until you remove the key from the ignition

·
Registered
857 Posts
drvitlkeyustolit said:
there is another feature called "key sense" and it allows the radio to stay on after the car has been turned off until you remove the key from the ignition
This is true also.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...but no way to use the cig. lighter without the key on huh? I've never had a car that didn't have an access. ON position to the ignition.

·
Registered
274 Posts
dgm said:
...but no way to use the cig. lighter without the key on huh? I've never had a car that didn't have an access. ON position to the ignition.
Neer owned anything but an American car, huh? It is a safety feature to keep children and drunks from doing stupid things with the lighter. It also prevents draining the batttery.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jgo said:
dgm said:
Neer owned anything but an American car, huh? It is a safety feature to keep children and drunks from doing stupid things with the lighter. It also prevents draining the batttery.
Well, I've owned mostly American Trucks, yes. ...with the exception of the RX-7 I had for a good while. I really like my GTI, but all the crazy safety stuff is a bit much.

1. I can't lock my own car from the driver's side, BUT my passenger can!
2. I can't be trusted to not leave drunks & kids alone in my car for fear of them doing stupid things with my cig. lighter.
3. I can't even be trusted to use my accessories (cig lighter) for fear that I might drain my own battery with it.

::) I guess I would like VW to treat me a little more like a grown up and a little less like the car is my Kg classroom which has to be child-proofed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What annoys me the most is if you have the engine off but in the run position the overall run time of the car still counts up. I eat lunch in my GTI at work and I have to do without the a/c blower due to this. That just sucks in the Texas heat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hardwire the cigarette lighter you need to be on all the time??

Seems to me if you're not using while the car is off it won't do any damage or drain the battery.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Hardwire the cigarette lighter you need to be on all the time??

Seems to me if you're not using while the car is off it won't do any damage or drain the battery.
you would be correct, but if you hardwire the hatch 12v lighter then you will forget to unplug or turn off what you hooked to it and it will drain your battery take that to the bank. roll starting these cars is not easy unless you have a good hill compression is too high and the engine just locks the front wheels in anything but high gear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts