Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else? MY AC often takes 5+ minutes to get any temperature difference out of the vents. Sometimes even 10+ minutes. And its not incredible hot, I live in NY so maybe 85 tops, usually 75-80ish. I've probably only used the AC about 10 times before I first noticed it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 07 GTI 2-door is Candy white and gets cold right away. I had a loaner GTI 4-door (yuck) for about 10 days it was Tornado red and it did not get as cold as fast maybe the extra doors. The difference was even noticed by my passenger. Oh yeah mine (candy white) has 20% tinted windows and come to think of it so did the red loaner. Sorry no help there. My 04 Jetta TDI took hours to get cool with the AC and hours for the heat to show up too but thats a diesel for ya.
You might try getting your windows tinted, if your into that stealth look. They say it helps but I'm not sure.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
if you have an air vent ontop of the dashboard in the middle close it... whenever thats on in my car it takes forever to get cold.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tornado_Red_MKV said:
Anyone else? MY AC often takes 5+ minutes to get any temperature difference out of the vents. Sometimes even 10+ minutes. And its not incredible hot, I live in NY so maybe 85 tops, usually 75-80ish. I've probably only used the AC about 10 times before I first noticed it.
I live in Oregon, same here - only really hot a few weeks of the year. I only used my AC a few times before a real warm spring day here. The first few times it was not cold at all, not like one would expect. The first real hot day on AC at all even after 15-20 mins or more. Took it in to dealer and AC compressor was seized up, pully rotated just fine, but compressor would not turn at all. New one should be in this week, it's been on order for 2 weeks+
hummm maybe the reason it's taken a while to get a new one is becuase they've been replacing them all over. Maybe a bad lot of compressors...

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i have an 07 TR it takes forever to get cold though. Granted i never use the AC, i love have the wind blowing around. However, once the AC has started up, it works fine....but its just the initial start up

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Mine is slow if I start the A/C almost right when I start the car. Once the engine is warmed up it seems to cool a lot faster. Maybe i'm wrong...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seems like the Tornado Red's have most of the problems, I have a 4-Door Tornado red as well and it seems ok for the most part, but I notice that there is a slight "HISS" sound right before the AC starts to pump out the cold air. Anybody else hear this HISS, happens only on hot days.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 4door candy white gti and my gti gets cold really fast ... i don't usually have ac running since i don't find the weather that hot anyway ... anything under 95 is not bad :)

i don't think the fact having 2 or 4 door will make much difference

·
Registered
110 Posts
07gtiMkV said:
My 07 GTI 2-door is Candy white and gets cold right away. I had a loaner GTI 4-door (yuck) for about 10 days it was Tornado red and it did not get as cold as fast maybe the extra doors. The difference was even noticed by my passenger. Oh yeah mine (candy white) has 20% tinted windows and come to think of it so did the red loaner. Sorry no help there. My 04 Jetta TDI took hours to get cool with the AC and hours for the heat to show up too but thats a diesel for ya.
You might try getting your windows tinted, if your into that stealth look. They say it helps but I'm not sure.
Good Luck.
Please don't be trashing four doors... I just got one July 3rd and I really enjoy it. As for the air conditioning... I have a problem with it being set on auto at 68 degrees. It's still darn hot! I read in the owner's manual that it would adjust accordingly to sunlight and other factors in the cabin... but still really hot!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Hey, had my GTI for 3 months now (picked it up end of March) 07' 6 speed. I rarely use the AC myself but when I do use it gets cold pretty quick. Only thing I can suggest is bring it in to the dealer, there could be a problem with it. I know a good friend of mine they replaced his whole AC unit within the first year he had the car (an older GTI).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got a black one and it does take a little to get cold. Getting my windows tinted made a huge difference. I mean it still takes a few minutes, but it's not baking hot when I get in and it seems like the AC doesn't have to work that hard.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
when i tinted my windows it definitly made a difference... my AC did blow up also a few months ago so i have a new one in. i rarely use it much anyways (my fast likes the windows down instead :)) but it seems to perform a lot better now... here is a hint also... close all the vents that dont blow on you and when you dont have the AC on close the vents or else hot air comes though :-\

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.