Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anti-lock brake system (ABS): The
combination of brakes and an on-board control unit designed to detect wheel lock-up. When wheel lock-up is detected, brake pressure is modulated or pulsed at a speed much faster than humanly possible. ABS prevents the wheels from locking up while braking and thus improves braking and steering control, especially on wet or snow-covered roads.

·
Registered
141 Posts
ABS is old but well worth it. Back in the '90's I had an Acura Legend Coupe with ABS. One day, as I was traveling down a secondary road in NH at about 55-60, a young girl went right through a stop sign at right angles to me. Without time to do anything else, I hit the brakes as hard as I could, but didn't slide and was still able to steer around her. Probably saved her from serious injury or worse (and me, as well). If you are really expert (and that takes much practice, BTW) you can accomplish the same thing without ABS, but most people are not that good (nor am I, as I get older!). The other side of the coin is that people have to learn that it is OK to really mash the brakes with ABS when in emergency situations. But you also have to remember to steer at the same time (which you can with ABS.)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Nice story Redshift. I've never had to test my ABS, but I feel more confident in it now, thanks.

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
newb question. does my 2006 mk v gti have abs? i got that traction control thing (esp), is abs tied into that? just wondering. i found out the hard way that i dont have TPMS, still heavent got my headlight washers to work, maybe i dont have those either? any help is apreciated.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yes, the 06' GTI does have ABS.

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
my corolla didnt have it. i made it slide a few times....

my fast does. tested it out on some ice. freakin sweet man! the peddle will fight you like a bum on some crack, but you just got to hang in there, and bam, you will stop. i know, its crazy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
not until 2006 did Honda put ABS standard in base model civics.... morons..... thats why i like VW so much now....... safety safety safety safety safety POWER!! safety safety safety..... hehe the GTI has so many more standard safety features than a civic or other honda's do for that matter
thats why i switched too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.