Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to pick up an 84 GTI with an 8v swapped motor. Brakes dont work and something about the cold start check valve..

It has a single master cyl and the owner said the passenger rear hard brake line is shot. This could be the culprit to the almost non existent brake power.

How much do u think a shop would do the line for (would the want to do all the lines?) Is it cheaper to buy the bending / flairing and cutting tools and do my own lines? I have seen them do it on horsepower TV lol.

What do u guys think about this car? I am new to the VW land - My lancer evolution's clutch went out and i need something to get me by for a month or so lol till i can get the clutch ordered and installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A bit of advice: Sell evo, buy upgrades for MK1.

Just a suggestion... Immerse yourself in the VDub culture.

Bask in its super awesomeness.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
A bit of advice: Sell evo, buy upgrades for MK1.

Just a suggestion... Immerse yourself in the VDub culture.

Bask in its super awesomeness.
[good post] agree 100% lol

brake lines are easy, spend the $40 in tools and some brake inline and do it yourself.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
didn't the mk1's come with a 8 valve motor?

brake lines can be done by yourself just need the right tools and patience
maybe it got a ABA

·
Registered
10 Posts
need some advice from you guys... last night I pulled into my parking garage and saw a dusty old 83 GTI sitting lonely and sad in the corner. the doors were actually unlocked but it looks like it's been sitting there forever. tires and stock BBS' look like new but the rest is pretty rough. no more stereo or ignition lock. tried to open hood but its jammed. I actually opened it from the windshield side a little to take a look. It looks like some of the wiring may be new but battery is gone and some kind of middle piece from the intake is gone. Inner door panels are missing but seats look really good. dash is decent. liner is trashed. paint is faded but i didn't see much rust. anyways... I can find the owner so what do you guys think I can offer him for this obviously somewhat forgotten about diamond in the rough?

P.S. Someone recently cuased $6,000 dollars worth of damage to my MK5 (on my b-day) so I'm hurtin to get my GTI fix in soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts