Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expect that most people will vote that they are always either in Drive or Sport, but how often do you use the paddle shifters? I think they're a great feature, but I've found that I rarely use them... I just want an idea of how everybody else is driving their DSG.

·
Registered
245 Posts
D while warming up or for normal driving.
S for when I want some fun.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Always in manual mode. sometimes use the stick, sometimes the paddles for shifting.

·
Registered
263 Posts
if im in traffic, drive, but the minute i see open road, move the stick right and start working the paddles

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was between 2 modded hondas on I-70 today

Accord to the left, Civic to the right...both gave dirty looks

We were going 80

I slid into S and pulled away at 110 :)....piece of cake (pulled is not the word i was looking for)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Watch out for this gun-totin' sunuvabitch, 'specially when he's been drinking.

My apologies jgo, but you had it coming.

May I ask why you drink and drive?

·
Registered
635 Posts
lol wow hes a jackass, a dumbass, plus he endangers everyone on the road lol JGO how did you graduate college? you gay? or did you major in gen ed to be a HS gym teacher...you honestly have to be smarter than what you show on these boards, also no offense to anyone else but college back in the 60's...so much easier than now.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Geez.... There's a lot of hostility now. I'm almost positive that was JGO's attempt at a joke. I hate to see all this aggressiveness. I personally don't agree with his ideas and I think he's somewhat of a jackass, but there's no reason to just attack him because you don't like what he said on another thread.

Anyway... D most of the time, for "sporty" more aggressive driving, I use the S, paddles, or shifter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use "D" for all my driving right now cause im still breaking it in. I cant wait to use "S" and see what it does. I noticed that "my fast" will hit the left padel to down shift and hold it in that gear while entering freeway on ramps. Then when I hit the straight part of the freeway it is fun to upshift with the paddle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
"D" most of the time, but "S" in traffic and every time I come out the other side of the tolls. It seems everybody "thinks" their Fast is as fast as our Fast. Latest victom was a Prelude. So much for his idea of being quick. :'(

By the way, just used the LC this morning, first time. WOW!!! ;D ;D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Automanual mode for me. O0

I'm used to driving an automatic so this is new and different. It keeps me more in tune with my FAST! 8)

·
Registered
137 Posts
i thought i would update everyone that i use tiptronic alot more now. ill takeoff from the lights with the stick to the right and shift using it. then when i come to a stop i pit it back in "d" so it doesnt engine break. i like taking off and holding first and second gear longer than "d" would but not as high revs as "s" would. i shift at like 4000 rpms so i can hear the turbo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heavy traffic in D. In moderate traffic D but I downshift and upshift using the paddles. You don't have to put it in manual for that. If you don't shift for 15 seconds it will drop back into D. This is a nice feature. Your are in Drive ... 2 whaps of the paddle to downshift and whoosh you are gone. In light or no traffic I drive manual. I use the stick shift to shift if I start out a heavy acceleration from a stop at a corner were I need to turn. I am still breaking in mine so I haven't tried launch control or really playing hard in sport mode. This engine seem to rev quicker and with less noise than compared to my Turbo S beetle. I really have to watch the tach.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I take my wife's car I usually flip the shifter in the manual mode and shift w/ that. I have a similar feature in my BMW, so i'm used to it. The paddle shifters are getting more and more comfortable though.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.