Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah yeah..I've got a couple more questions after doing even more research on this car.

1. Yearly maintenance costs - I keep hearing how expensive these cars are to maintain and upkeep...is this true? Dealer check ups, oil changes etc.

2. Fuel cost - Is buying premium fuel THAT big of an issue for people?

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
I'll tell you, the cost of 20000 miles for me would have been about 600.00 I'd say. With oil and check ups... I finally said enough is enough when they estimated my check up at 20000 miles to be 356.00! I said Nope.. instead I got a list of things they would have checked/replaced and did it myself for 100. Oil plus a cabin filter and an air filter. so.. yea pricey.. but if you're handy, do it yourself.. and just use the Service shop for Warranty work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow.....now that is a concern for me.

However, this is not going to be our primary vehicle. I would be surprised if I put more than 8,000 on it in a year. So at my 2-3 year mark I should expect to pay that kind of money for a service check up etc?

That seems pretty crazy.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Yea I thought it was a misplaced decimal point or something.. I was shocked.. but they are semi-notorious for overpriced service. Anyone agree?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree. My 3000 mile oil change was $90!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why is an oil change so much?

Do you have to go to the dealership to get that done? Or can you use a local service station etc??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dealership where I bought my FAST...Oil $45 Labor $45!!! Special synthetic I guess! :(

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wouldn't use a local service station to get your oil changed. I doubt they would have the filter or even the right grade of oil. However, if you find a place that has all that stuff then they will still probably charge about $60. I get full synthetic in my other car and Quaker State express place charges about $60. Anyway, you can buy the stuff and do it yourself in about 15-20 minutes. All the oil and filter comes to around $30.

Note: Does everyone know you can take your used motor oil to ANY place that sells oil and they will recycle it for you free?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts