Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday i take my car for inspection it ran fine, it failed bc of a small exhaust leak so i got that fixed. Took it back it passed. On the way home the car would shut off sometimes when i press the clutch, would but start back up when i hit the key. On the autobahn it would shudder occasionaly then run fine, but as soon as i slow down it would try to die, but no always. I looked under the hood and one of the spark plug wires was pretty chewed up, could this be the only problem or has anyone else had this issue. thanks

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
no idea

do u gave any codes?

try changing the wire n c what happens

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i changed the wire, it still happens, it doesnt bog or run ****ty when it starts it just runs a few seconds then dies. If i give it gas it will run until i let go then it dies. When i start it the dash computer says in02. Think it could maybe be clogged fuel filter or o2 sensor?

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
do you have a cat?

if so when your wire went bad this may have caused lack of spark in the combustion chamber, not burning all the fuel.

this fuel made it down to the cat and was burning it up and plug it up. as your exhaust got plug up you may have had a weak point in the exhaust and it broke/leaked (this assuming you have a cat and the leak was b4 the cat).

when you fixed the leak the unburnt fuel makes it back to the cat plugging it up even more

it was good enough for a while but then the cat got completely clogged up and you have way to much back pressure for the car to stay running.

just a thought, hope im right cuz that would be just cool that i diagnosed you problem lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes i do have a cat, and come to think of it it ran just fine until i had the exhaust patched up. How would i check to see it it is blocked? when i start the car i can feel and see exhaust coming out of the tail pipe.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
dont know if a cat is required where u at but i would remove it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it is only required for inspection once a year. i have a buddy who is a mechanic is going to come by today and run some checks on it. Its kinda hard right now with a foot of snow right now lol. He thinks it may be the fuel relay since it will start up, run a few seconds, then shut off. I do have plans to replace the entire exhaust system though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mines doing the same thing! Well not on start up, but when I brake and push in the clutch it trys to die. Then I have to take it out of gear and switch feet (left on brake and right on gas) to give it gas, Then its fine, in till I try stopping again. On start up it revs funny for about 15 secs. jumping from 500 - 1200 RPMs. I have not put gas in it since I got it so I'm going to get some sea-foam and put some 93 in it to see if that helps!

I also have a slow leaking head gasket and It back fired when I 1st got it (has not done that since) but should not have any thing to do with it trying to die. Check Engine light came on I'm going to run to the part store see if they can check it!

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
If you have a leaking head gasket then the car would die... Makes me ponder whether mine is bad or not but I doubt mine is.

You're idle control valve may need adjusting (if you're obd2 then you will need to clean your throttle body and see if that helps any) or replacing. Could be a vacuum leak... There are plenty of things to point the finger at but unless you start to dive in, won't really find a solution.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah I know it had nothing to do with the head gasket. Eaither bad gas, bad plugs, wires, O2, Intake, so on... So im just going to clean it out with some cleaner and drive till it blows...

with the blown gasket and knowing how much it will cost for parts and how much labor I will have to do on a motor that has 194,xxx miles. I'm about to just drive it till it goes bad, then replace the motor with a low mileage motor. And if I would fix the head gasket I know some things going to happen a short way down the road since it has so many miles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just dropped mine off at the mechanic who is going to run an enigne diagnostic. It started working fine until it warmed up, so i thought maybe clean the intake as well. Once i get it back today ill post. Maybe it will help you as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So i took it to the mechanice. Two codes poped up. One was the air flow sensor which the mechanic said was my main issue, the other was the knock sensor, which i have no clue what that is. He reset the codes and it drove fine for a day. Until this morning when it would not start up. So i taking it back to him today. WHat does the knock sensor do?

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
So i took it to the mechanice. Two codes poped up. One was the air flow sensor which the mechanic said was my main issue, the other was the knock sensor, which i have no clue what that is. He reset the codes and it drove fine for a day. Until this morning when it would not start up. So i taking it back to him today. WHat does the knock sensor do?
knock sensor detects pre-ignition, when the engine gets hot and the timing is advanced too much for the accumulated heat in the combustion chamber the fuel ignites too early causing a "knock" this is when the explosion tries to push the piston back down while it is on the upward stoke. It is also refered to as "detonation" too much of this can break things, burn holes in pistons, melt spark plugs etc. The sensor detects this "knock" and backs the timing off a few degrees to make it stop.

as a reference the higher the octane rating of a fuel the slower it burns and the less suseptable to pre-ignition or "knock" it is. Running a lower octane fuel on an advanced timing curve will cause the engine to knock.

I would replace the knock sensor because it directly effects the longevity of your engine.

I don't think this is the source of your current issue tho. It could be one of the contributing factors, say if your head gasket is blown. If the knock sensor failed the pre-ignition could have caused the pressure in the combustion chamber to drastically rise thus blowing the headgasket.

goodluck with the search

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
also a blown head gasket or cracked head could run normal when cold and when it heats up the metal expands causing problems. check the exhaust for white/blue smoke or water coming out of it. these are tell tell signs of a head gasket failure. also a compression test will help determine if that is the problem. Just possibilities.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Think your getting the two mixed, but I'm going to get my codes check tomorrow (maybe tonight), and see where we are, I'm thinking my mass air is out also.

as for the head gasket theres no smoke or water, the oil is foamy and grey. <~ yes I changed it! then but barleak in the drove it then changed it, and now it looks fine.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.