Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have had a 42DD Stealth catch can since early this year. When it was cold out, i would drain probably around half a cup every few days to a week. I know a lot of this was due to the colder weather and air condensation. Then as the weather got warmer, i wasn't getting nearly that amount. Now that it has been hot for a while (Chicago), i haven't even been getting drops. Now a while back, I read on a forum that some people just leave the quick drain tube i have open all the time so they don't have to worry about draining it. I made a comment and got ripped apart when I asked if something could get sucked up the tube. Well I kept it open for a week and a warning in my display came up saying I needed to check my oil cap. My cap was fine and I assumed that it being open did something so I closed it. I really haven't gotten anything out of it since. Long story short, I'm wondering how much you guys drain out of your CC during the hot days in summer
thanks

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Virtually nothing. 2007 VW GTI FSI. At first I thought there was a clog, but really, there's nothing there. It's not a failure AND I don't believe in running the car with the system open. However, I have run with the system open by mistake since the drain valve will occasionally rattle open by itself and I never suffered a loss in power OR CEL. My guess, if you have a CEL, something is else is wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In the winter it doesnt get to cold here ( georgia). I would drain maybe 6 oz. a month. But in the summer time i only drain it once a month and it's very little.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, well at least i don't have to take everything apart and see if if there is a clog in my tube, which i may do anyway, but my CEL never came on. I just got an alert on my MFD that said to check my oil cap, and this happened a couple days after I decided to leave it open. Turned the car off, closed the drain tube, and haven't had an issue since.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Just a thought I had the other day, I'm going to pull the can off and give it a good flush, couldn't hurt any. Might spray a little degreaser in too to clear out any build up (if any).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lets say I may or may not dump my catch can everytime I fill up and for a long time there I may or may not have been getting a lot of golden color fluid coming out (mix of congealed oil, gas and water) then about 2 weeks ago I noticed that the stream wasnt coming out very fast then not at all. About this time I noticed that the car felt sluggish and I was getting boost drop off from 20psi to 10psi under WTO around 4 grand (and before you all start ... I well aware that our pin wheel sized K03 start running out off puff above 4500 rpms). So I decided that a cleaning was in order. The can was full I would say almost 20 oz of fluid came out as soon and I tipped it upside down. then what can only be described and engine diarrhea started coming out and there was a lot of it. Looking in through the holes it was clear that the can was pretty fouled up. so I started with gas but quickly moved to seafoam pouring it in and shaking it, letting it sit then draining and repeating I must have done it 4 times before clear fluid was coming out of the drain. As for the hoses, people who suffer heart attacks have clearier arteries than the inlet tube the 1 in pipe was reduced to about 1/4 and it was all oil and crap so ... I seafoamed those and could see from one end to the other. I put it all back together and WOW instant difference. the car pulls strong and while i have been able to WOT to redline in 4 and 5 (on a closed track of course) the boost comes on and stays on longer than before the cleaning. By now its clear that catch can are snake oil as far as keeping valves clean. oil crap is bad but think about how many 2.0 FSI motors were built world wide and 99% of them are never tuned. The can just shows you what would normally get sucked in and burnt away. Having to drain it and now clean it is just a pita not to mention gross :(

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Lets say I may or may not dump my catch can everytime I fill up and for a long time there I may or may not have been getting a lot of golden color fluid coming out (mix of congealed oil, gas and water) then about 2 weeks ago I noticed that the stream wasnt coming out very fast then not at all. About this time I noticed that the car felt sluggish and I was getting boost drop off from 20psi to 10psi under WTO around 4 grand (and before you all start ... I well aware that our pin wheel sized K03 start running out off puff above 4500 rpms). So I decided that a cleaning was in order. The can was full I would say almost 20 oz of fluid came out as soon and I tipped it upside down. then what can only be described and engine diarrhea started coming out and there was a lot of it. Looking in through the holes it was clear that the can was pretty fouled up. so I started with gas but quickly moved to seafoam pouring it in and shaking it, letting it sit then draining and repeating I must have done it 4 times before clear fluid was coming out of the drain. As for the hoses, people who suffer heart attacks have clearier arteries than the inlet tube the 1 in pipe was reduced to about 1/4 and it was all oil and crap so ... I seafoamed those and could see from one end to the other. I put it all back together and WOW instant difference. the car pulls strong and while i have been able to WOT to redline in 4 and 5 (on a closed track of course) the boost comes on and stays on longer than before the cleaning. By now its clear that catch can are snake oil as far as keeping valves clean. oil crap is bad but think about how many 2.0 FSI motors were built world wide and 99% of them are never tuned. The can just shows you what would normally get sucked in and burnt away. Having to drain it and now clean it is just a pita not to mention gross :(
The only thing that is clear is that you don't maintain your vehicle.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I appreciate the input on the catch can debate and I can see you're new here so I don't want you to get turned off by this BUT, your argument is crap. The only reason I'm addressing it is because if I see one more person posting, "If ____ isn't so awesome sauce all the time then why did the engineers build it that way and ____ motor is so awesome," I'm gonna kill myself. [suicide]

So, sometimes engineers make mistakes and sometimes engineers don't account for certain things. Number one, the FSI motor might be engineering perfection but then you'd really have to question why they went to the TSI model. "But they used the FSI for the 'R'!" Right. And, sensing the person that posted that was both incapable of reason and irony, I stopped arguing.

Engineers might account for all that blow by on European roads. In fact, a recent off the boat German master mechanic encounter made me think of all that blow by by stating (and this is to memory), "You know where we don't get carbon build up? Europe! Because we drive our cars the way they were meant to be driven!" He was talking about full throttle. Now, here in America, we're taught NOT to do that and that is enforced by our lovely boys in blue. So, is it possible that an American company saw a need and filled a need with catch cans? Is it possible that the watery goop that is in my catch can would be burnt up in a German driven GTI but not in mine due to local laws/my inability to pay infinite speeding tickets? Yes.

In addition, is it possible that engineers, in their infinite wisdom, realize that there is a cost of doing business and sometimes the BEST solution is not the most cost effective? Yes.

I simply wish everyone would stop citing the number of engines built, or the way in which they were built, or who built them as a way of implying flawlessness in the build. The best, most researched, most invested in engine in the world WILL break down.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I appreciate the input on the catch can debate and I can see you're new here so I don't want you to get turned off by this BUT, your argument is crap. The only reason I'm addressing it is because if I see one more person posting, "If ____ isn't so awesome sauce all the time then why did the engineers build it that way and ____ motor is so awesome," I'm gonna kill myself. [suicide]

So, sometimes engineers make mistakes and sometimes engineers don't account for certain things. Number one, the FSI motor might be engineering perfection but then you'd really have to question why they went to the TSI model. "But they used the FSI for the 'R'!" Right. And, sensing the person that posted that was both incapable of reason and irony, I stopped arguing.

Engineers might account for all that blow by on European roads. In fact, a recent off the boat German master mechanic encounter made me think of all that blow by by stating (and this is to memory), "You know where we don't get carbon build up? Europe! Because we drive our cars the way they were meant to be driven!" He was talking about full throttle. Now, here in America, we're taught NOT to do that and that is enforced by our lovely boys in blue. So, is it possible that an American company saw a need and filled a need with catch cans? Is it possible that the watery goop that is in my catch can would be burnt up in a German driven GTI but not in mine due to local laws/my inability to pay infinite speeding tickets? Yes.

In addition, is it possible that engineers, in their infinite wisdom, realize that there is a cost of doing business and sometimes the BEST solution is not the most cost effective? Yes.

I simply wish everyone would stop citing the number of engines built, or the way in which they were built, or who built them as a way of implying flawlessness in the build. The best, most researched, most invested in engine in the world WILL break down.
Very well stated, and very well put! If only we could drive our cars the way they were built to be.

You two ass clowns are ****ing imbeciles :)
I am not really sure what is up with the forums lately, but I feel like that Snowsled guy has friends.

Is it really necessary to start calling names and insulting people because you are ill-informed? Do some sifting through your web browser and read up on your car more(Including regular maintenance) .

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Very well stated, and very well put! If only we could drive our cars the way they were built to be.
For only a 100 million dollars or so, you could have every visible exterior part on your GTI replaced by retroreflective panels. :) Tony Stark, we need you to invest in a project!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
For only a 100 million dollars or so, you could have every visible exterior part on your GTI replaced by retroreflective panels. :) Tony Stark, we need you to invest in a project!
If only, hahaha My city ended up getting two more under cover cop cars. The only reason I found out about them, were because One of them was stopped in-front of me at a light.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts