Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently bought a 2003 Gti VR6. I have driven the car a little over 1000 miles now (141k on car) and for about the last week and a half it has had no power at all.
Let me tell you the story...
I drove the car for about 2 weeks (maybe more) and it drove perfectly. It was running good and fast. I was curious to see what mpg I was going to get out of the car so I drove it until right before the gas light was going to come on, put $40 worth of gas in it (a little over 10.5 gallons), and drove home for the night. Ever since then, the car has had no power at all.
Facts:
Car still runs great (no idle problems; cranks perfectly; doesn't seem to hesitate much, maybe just a tiny bit a couple of times in the low rpm range)
No CEL, Traction Control, ECU or anything at all. No lights at all. ZERO
When I bought the car the guy said it needs new o2 sensors
I've already replaced the MAF (2.0 sensor in original housing deal)

Just to be more specific, the power loss is feels really noticeable in the low rpm range. Anything above 3500-4 rpms feels relatively normal. When cruising at lower rpms and getting on the gas hard, the car goes no faster at all. It just gets a little louder. Even though I only got to drive it a little while when it was driving correctly, I still can tell there is a major difference in power.
HELP! [help]

·
Registered
59 Posts
It could be one of your fuel pumps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the check engine light came on yesterday, gave me the code p1165. Apparently this code means...Bank1, Long term fuel trim, Range 1 Rich limit exceeded. I'm thinking you might be right, could be the a fuel pump. How would I check that? Any ideas?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Could be either your MAF sensor or the pre cat O2 sensor.
To pinpoint this you will need to use VCDS or VAG-COM and get the engine up to operating temp and then use the measuring block to get fuel trim, O2 sensor and maf sensor readings. The readings that show up off or inconsistent will tell you what sensor or component isn't working properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts