Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i purchased a golf several months back, and im not quite sure what i have under the hood. While theres plenty of information about the 1.8 16 valved turbos, i have a mk4 four door, 1.8 20 valved turbo. I dont know much about the car, other then that its chipped, lowered, aftermarket exshaust, coilovers and suspension and body kit, the usual. If anyone has any info regarding the 20vt engine, like its specs and whatnot, id love to hear it. Thanks!

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
There is no 16v turbo 1.8L engine in the mk4, at least here in the states.

All the turbo engine in the mk4 are 20v 1.8T

So I'm not sure what you are researching

Check on the left side of the head, there should be 3 letters stamped on the head. Something like "AWW"

that is your engine code, you can search for that code and you should find info on the engine.

And if you search on here you can find the info, cause I have posted it multiple times

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
What year is it? There were 2 variations of the Block which are 058 and 06A. Newer models or those closer to the end of the MkIV platform life age were 06A. Most 1.8t's use a small port head. If you have the engine code AEB you're lucky with the large port head. All 1.8t's came with a K03 sized turbo. Variant 1.8t's and late MkIV models used a slightly higher flowing K03s turbo which has a higher choke point than the K03 turbo. Depending on your transmission we can help piece together the info that would be beneficial to have on hand.

Congrats on the whip. These hatches are a blast!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year is it? There were 2 variations of the Block which are 058 and 06A. Newer models or those closer to the end of the MkIV platform life age were 06A. Most 1.8t's use a small port head. If you have the engine code AEB you're lucky with the large port head. All 1.8t's came with a K03 sized turbo. Variant 1.8t's and late MkIV models used a slightly higher flowing K03s turbo which has a higher choke point than the K03 turbo. Depending on your transmission we can help piece together the info that would be beneficial to have on hand.

Congrats on the whip. These hatches are a blast!
Its a 2000, with the engine code AWD, so i dont get the larger port head. I was told the car was outfitted with a larger turbo at some point in its life, so im not sure what kind of turbo im running. I got the car with almost no background info, so its hard for me to know what kind of chip and turbo it has in it. I was told im pushing 220 hp by the mechanic, not sure if that tells yah anything. Its a manual 5 speed as well, and im loving the car. Ive always been more into japanese imports, largely because thats all i could afford as a kid, but volkswagons just have a better feel. They just confuse the hell outa me because the engine looks more like a microwave then it does an engine, especially when your used to civics and integras. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
AWD is a 20v, the only turboed 16v ive heard of are all aftermarket. If the turbo's been change and ur putting down 220hp, its probably a K03s or k04 upgrade from the factory k03 that came in the car. There are 4 major tuning companie, APR, Unitronic, REVO, and GIAC. call them up, give them ur vin number, and they might know if ur tuned with them or not.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
AWD is a 20v, the only turboed 16v ive heard of are all aftermarket. If the turbo's been change and ur putting down 220hp, its probably a K03s or k04 upgrade from the factory k03 that came in the car. There are 4 major tuning companie, APR, Unitronic, REVO, and GIAC. call them up, give them ur vin number, and they might know if ur tuned with them or not.
220hp is going to be a K04 on a light tune probably stage 1. Take a shot of your engine bay from the front bumper and the passenger side. We can help point out a few things for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, its been a while since iv'e been on the site, iv'e been driving my winter car and haven't let myself look at the VW in case i might be tempted to insure it and drive around in the snow. I broke down however once the snow slightly melted off these canadian roads and threw on some winters and insured it. I got an iphone too, so i finally took some pictures. Thanks for all the help so far!
ps i know the eyebrows are tacky
pps. yes that is a transformers logo on the back, dont judge

photo (1).jpg photo (5).jpg photo (8).jpg photo (3).jpg photo (6).jpg

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts