Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got myself a short shifter and did a lot of research for DIY. The video below is great and all the info i got online looks exactly the same as the video on the link below:

The issue started when i tried to pull the shifter out... It does not want to come out!!! I was afraid of wiggleling it since i do not want to damage anything. I sprayed some oil to make it easier and nothing, the damn thing is more stubborn than i.

I am trying to avoid some extra costs by taking the car to a shop to get it done. Is there anything else i should be doing? The thing seems to be 'pressed' in there, simply stuck. The car is only 9k... What the heck is wrong with this thing???

·
Registered
7 Posts
So i got myself a short shifter. The issue started when i tried to pull the shifter out
I assume you are talking about removing the short throw lever. If so, it takes a bit of patience; however it will come off. Just follow the instructions on the ECS video

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you are talking about removing the short throw lever. If so, it takes a bit of patience; however it will come off. Just follow the instructions on the ECS video
Yes, that's the one but the damn thing does not come off, seriouslly... I gave up doing it myself, lol... I will have to spend some money asking a tuning shop to do it for me...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried again and spent almost 1h being careful and all and the damn thing does not even move... any other ideas other than WD40 LOL???

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes... finally i have managed to remove that damn shifter. The only issue is, i have to get done by a tuning shop. They worked on it since i had to upgrade my clutch. Since they had to remove the battery to start the prep for the clutch i told them i was never able to pull it out.

Here is the thing, they told me it was a smart move to leave it alone once you realize it is too hard to remove. Most people would bring the car in after forcing it, the syncros would be all messed up and there are people with more serious issues, like damaging the "teeth" as well as the screw point and some other parts. They used a transmission removal tool. This way they are able to pull it out straight, no wiggles... they said it was stuck and if i tried at home by wiggling i would most probably damage it.

You might be able to get it removed by Autozone or any car shop near you. Just shop around before going to a tune shop which could be a bit more expensive. I just used the opportunity of having the clutch done.

By the way, the OEM short shifter is awesome. Great add to the Stage 2 clutch.

good luck...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts