Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my GTI in February and around mid-July the 'check tires' light came on. Filled the tires, reset using the button in the glove box, no problem. A week later, the 'check tires' light came on again. Checked the tires, discovered the psi was a little too high, let some air out, reset using the button in the glove box.

A week and a half later, the 'check tires' light came on again. At this point I called the dealership and asked if there might be a problem with the system, a leak, anything causing me to lose air. They told me to bring it in, so I did. They checked it out, couldn't find anything wrong, tested the systems, looked at all the tires, and said everything was fine. They set all the tires to an even 40 psi (recommended is 38 psi), and waved me out.

About 3 days after I picked up the car from the dealership, the 'check tires' light came on again. Now I'm starting to get cheesed off. Checked all the tires, found them at 34-34-34-32, and called the dealership again. Told me to go ahead and bring it in again, this time the shop foreman will look at it, etc. Dropped it off, went in the next day, and they said everything's working fine, couldn't find any issues, and it could be due to "a change in the weather." Seriously?

I just picked it up last Wednesday. Today's Sunday. I was out driving around and my 'check tires' light just came on. Tires at 36-36-35-30.

TL, DR:
* 'Check tires' light has come on 5 times in 6 weeks.
* Been to dealer twice, they haven't found anything wrong.
* Have filled tires and reset system 4 times.
* Light comes on 3-7 days after filling tires and resetting system.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yes, though not as frequently as you. My light came on a few times last year. Took it in and had it reset (no reset on mine). "Weather" was often cited, and it did get "cold" here during the winter. My suggestion: have it turned off entirely. That's what I did. This is not an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Not a problem with my 11'. But, I leased a couple of Nissans that temperature swings really messed with the TPMS. Had a major tire retailer refill them with Nitrogen... problem solved.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you try putting nitrogen in those tires? I live in Calgary, Alberta and our temperature could swing easily +/-30 degree. I purchased the tire warranty for extra $1250 from the dealer and they put nitrogen air in my tires and they told me that nitrogen is far more stable than air and if that is any problem with the tires or puncture, they will replace my tire for free for the next 4 years. Maybe you should try nitrogen, peace out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you played with the pressure sensor adjustor in your glove box? Sounds like it is set for around 35. Occasionally when i put stuff in my glove box it'll bump the nob and set off the light.let me know if that helps.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.