Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Enjoying my new 2011 GTI w/DSG tremendously. Got it last week and currently driving it somewhat conservatively to break it in.

My previous and first car was a 1998 Corolla (auto). So forgive my post if it displays any ignorance about these fine Volkswagens.

As I brake / roll to a stop from normal city driving (ca. 35mph) the car seems to downshift a little too soon and the RPMs (somewhat quickly) rev up above 2k and then back down, all the while my foot is on the brake.

Because of this, I've started to get into the habit of manually shifting into neutral. I understand that the DSG is not your average automatic; it is a manual transmission with an electronic clutch. But is this normal or should I get the dealer to take a look at the transmission?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not in sport mode. Since I'm still under 1000 miles I'm being nice and easy on the car.

After driving around a bit more, it really seems like I just need to get used to manual downshifting vs. my old automatic. As I come to a stop I can feel the engine holding back a bit as it downshifts, and I can rely less on the brakes. I am getting used to this. Does this seem usual and make any sense?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
No, it does that to help slow down

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The "s" is sport mode, not "second"

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello everyone,

Enjoying my new 2011 GTI w/DSG tremendously. Got it last week and currently driving it somewhat conservatively to break it in.

My previous and first car was a 1998 Corolla (auto). So forgive my post if it displays any ignorance about these fine Volkswagens.

As I brake / roll to a stop from normal city driving (ca. 35mph) the car seems to downshift a little too soon and the RPMs (somewhat quickly) rev up above 2k and then back down, all the while my foot is on the brake.

Because of this, I've started to get into the habit of manually shifting into neutral. I understand that the DSG is not your average automatic; it is a manual transmission with an electronic clutch. But is this normal or should I get the dealer to take a look at the transmission?

Thanks all!
Kinda know what you mean. I have a 10 and it does this but only whn in drive when i shift it is smooth i dont understand y it does it i may have it looked at. shift into N...when coming to a stop u mean?

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
It actually has 2 clutches. And lots of other gadgets you probably don't know or care about. But, the dsg is a peculiar creature. It does weird stuff. Don't worry about it unless it starts slamming gears and slipping into neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm so new to this forum and to GTI owning, it's ridiculous... but I just got my first volkswagen gti (2011) amazing car, and its my DD, and have a '91 300zx for my project, anyways, as stated the DSG is pretty weird, it has got a mind of a professional manual transmission driver, and a double clutch. It will down shift on its own and engine brake all by its self, with that said, it will slow you down slowly, so obvisously you still need to use the brake. And no, nothing is wrong with your transmission. It will slow you down, but the DSG will stop engine breaking at 5 MPH the rest is up to you. It's scary how smart the DSG is and im scared of it, but im am thoroughly impressed with it, it is by far better then Scions, Nissans, Hondas tectronic automatic transmissions, and barely better than mazdas. German engineering at its finest.

P.S. i literally made this account to post on this thread, but i like this forum so ill see you guys around, i got my first VW GTI last saturday and have about 650 miles till my break in, granny drivin, is over.... :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts