Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

2008 GTI

16K views 122 replies 39 participants last post by  Importkiller1 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Even if it were true, it says that it will be the same engine with the same specs. The only thing that would change is the body, which will look uninspired and lame.

I don't think that they will do a remodel so soon, when their current model is winning awards left and right. I think at the time that was written, they didn't expect the GTI/Rabbit to do so well.

#4 ·
GranTurismoInjection said:
Even if it were true, it says that it will be the same engine with the same specs. The only thing that would change is the body, which will look uninspired and lame.

I don't think that they will do a remodel so soon, when their current model is winning awards left and right. I think at the time that was written, they didn't expect the GTI/Rabbit to do so well.
That's certainly what it looks like in that little picture, but I'm not making a decision based on that one little blurb.

Also, the new Scirroco is hideous.

#8 ·
I don't think the production Scirocco will look anything like what we've seen so far. Remember, it's a prototype.

Really don't like what they're doing to the Golf in '08. Giving it the Eos headlights and making the back look all weird.

#18 ·
Car Magazine stated that VW is actually bringing the MK6 GTI to US shores 2 years early due to the high cost in manufacturing the MK5 GTI. For example if the MK4 GTI took 10 hours manufacture, the MKV is taking like 25 (these numbers are not confirmed). The car will be essentially the sameengine wise, but fit and finish will be much less refined.

#21 ·
2008 VW GTI

I think I am the first on this board to order the 2008 - not an honour I wanted. I was told they "weren't going to change anything" so we went for it. I am nervous about them dumbing the car down, based on what I have read about production time / cost of manuf. etc. I know they already dropped the head lamp washers in the 2007, so what is next? Let me know if you hear anything.

#23 ·
Re: 2008 VW GTI

BlueFrogPosse said:
Not sure, but I thought I also heard they will be changing the steering wheel buttons. I know--'big freaking deal'--but I do rather like the current set up. My wife ended up with a Jetta without the steering wheel controls, and I just don't feel right in that thing.
If they change that, I won't buy it. I would rather pay $1500 for a goddamn sunroof I don't want so I can get the 2007. I want those buttons!

#25 ·
Re: 2008 VW GTI

My German is not that good, but here is what I get.

New standard 17" wheel.

Leather armrest to be made "leatherette".

Replacing active headrest (aks) with rear impact optimized head restraints.

Delete soft touch from doors and dash (I would miss this one).

Delete chrome finish from interior valet locks.

Armrest vent is gone.

Radio buttons are going from black to chrome.

Launch control will be standard on auto.

TPMS added.

22 mm ride height reductioned (delayed until 2008 MY).

and... As you mentioned headlight washers are gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.