Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here, just leased a 2008 GTI 4dr with DSG. I love driving the car, but have a question. The owner's manual says that when in D or S the gear is shown on the right on the MFD. Fig 92 pg108 in booklet 3.1. Mine doesn't do that, so I'm wondering if there is a problem. My daytime running lights are also off, but I see that some dealers forget to turn them on, so I guess this is OK. I'm in CA if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help. Hope the car is OK as I really like it so far. [help]

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
akaplan said:
Hi,

I'm new here, just leased a 2008 GTI 4dr with DSG. I love driving the car, but have a question. The owner's manual says that when in D or S the gear is shown on the right on the MFD. Fig 92 pg108 in booklet 3.1. Mine doesn't do that, so I'm wondering if there is a problem. My daytime running lights are also off, but I see that some dealers forget to turn them on, so I guess this is OK. I'm in CA if that makes a difference.

The gear indicator should be at the bottom of your MFD (Multi Function Display) right above the steering wheel (I have an 07 and I don;t think they changed it on the 08; the 08 R32 appeared to have the same MFD and functions as my 07). Also, the DRLs are set to on when the ECU is programmed at the factory (US Mode), the dealerships will not usually turn these off citing safety/liability reasons.

You may have a problem- was this car brand spanking new?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car was brand new. The gear indicator is there and it displays that I'm in S or D or whatever. If I'm in manual mode it displays gear numbers, or if I'm in D or S and hit the paddles to shift gears then it also displays which gear I shifted into. When I'm just driving in D or S though it doesn't display the gear number in the right lower corner of the MFD.

Manual shows something like

....R D S 4
mine is
....R D S

Does your show the gear number when your are in D or S and not manually shifting?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
952 Posts
akaplan said:
Hi,

if your dealer isn't helping. go to another dealer. this car may not be completely PDI'd. It needs to be checked immediately.
ff

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
akaplan said:
The car was brand new. The gear indicator is there and it displays that I'm in S or D or whatever. If I'm in manual mode it displays gear numbers, or if I'm in D or S and hit the paddles to shift gears then it also displays which gear I shifted into. When I'm just driving in D or S though it doesn't display the gear number in the right lower corner of the MFD.

Manual shows something like

....R D S 4
mine is
....R D S

Does your show the gear number when your are in D or S and not manually shifting?

Thanks for the help.
I don't think when you are in D or S it will show the gear. I'll double check when I drive home. O0

So what part of Ca. are you in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in LA.

You guys are scaring me. :eek: I thought that the Daytime lights not being on was a common issue and that many people even turned them off with the help of software or a friendly dealer.

As far as the gear not being displayed, I'll wait until someone can tell me what they see in their car.

I hope I don't have to take it to the dealer immediately, but maybe I will tomorrow. The car seems to be working perfectly well otherwise.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
akaplan said:
I'm in LA.

You guys are scaring me. :eek: I thought that the Daytime lights not being on was a common issue and that many people even turned them off with the help of software or a friendly dealer.

As far as the gear not being displayed, I'll wait until someone can tell me what they see in their car.

I hope I don't have to take it to the dealer immediately, but maybe I will tomorrow. The car seems to be working perfectly well otherwise.

Thanks.
Here is a video of a MFD on a DSG in what appears to be "s" mode and it does not indicate what gear you are in.

The only way to switch off the DRLs is vagcom- I don't think the computer that VW supplies dealers lets their guys do too much other than diags (or they know a back door to do it).

If your HIDs work- I wouldn't worry too much, a lot of people choose to disable the DRLs.

However you should have got a PDI sheet (that shows everything was prepped and tested properly).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot. My headlights work in all modes except Daytime/always on. Didn't know about PDI sheet. Don't even know what it is. Is it something I need to ask for next time? I should've checked the lights, but the dealer during the test drive and after when he was going over controls of the car repeatedly told me that I have daytime running lights, also the sticker says the same, so I didn't even think of checking. I'll know better next time. Daytime lights are not a big deal, I just hope it is not an indication of anything else being wrong. Once again thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at the video and it actually looks like there is a gear number in the bottom right corner. Hard to see so not sure. Dragon please let me know if you see it in your car when in D or S.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
akaplan said:
I looked at the video and it actually looks like there is a gear number in the bottom right corner. Hard to see so not sure. Dragon please let me know if you see it in your car when in D or S.

Thanks.
Well, on my 07 it does not show a gear when you are in D or S until you activate the paddle shifting.

A PDI sheet is a Pre Delivery Inspection report. It's a final check done by the dealership to ensure that everything is in working order before they can release the car for sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool. Thanks. must be a Euro manual or something. I guess day time lights are the only issue. This I can wait with until I go for my first oil change. Thanks for the help, I really like the car, glad my brother talked me into taking a test drive. I was going for WRX originally.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've been told by the dealer and a reply to an e-mail I sent to vw.com that the gear indicator while in D or S feature was dropped somewhere along the way with the 2007 model. I drove a 2007 last October that had it but bought mine in March and it does not. My owner's manual shows it too. Seems like they would have updated the manual for 2008.

Does anyone know if VW could correct this with a simple software update? If yes, I'd like to campaign to get them to change it back.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
akaplan said:
Cool. Thanks. must be a Euro manual or something. I guess day time lights are the only issue. This I can wait with until I go for my first oil change. Thanks for the help, I really like the car, glad my brother talked me into taking a test drive. I was going for WRX originally.
I was in the same boat looking at the WRX and the (where's my torque?) Si. O0

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Does anyone know if VW could correct this with a simple software update? If yes, I'd like to campaign to get them to change it back.
That would be nice, but I don't want the folks at the dealership to touch the software on my ECU unless it's absolutely necessary.

Who would rather find it's an option within vag-com?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The gear indicator was taken out sometime during the 2007 model year. It doesn't display the gear while I'm in D or S mode either. I don't know why they took it out, personally, I'd really prefer to see the gear number there.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 2007 and it DOES show up on mine. Not sure what my build date is, but its there to the right of the "PRNDS"

It seems VW has an issue with their PDIs. I had to take my car in for 3 different issues 2 weeks after delivery. and I find out after 4 months, that the shipping bump stops were still on the shocks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yah, I'd like to know what gear I'm in too. Granted no other automatic shows you the gear, but since this one did it is odd that they took it out. As far as shipping bump stops go, how do i check for these. Can i just look and see? I doubt mine are still in, but who knows.

·
Registered
577 Posts
lumpypumpkin said:
I have a 2007 and it DOES show up on mine. Not sure what my build date is, but its there to the right of the "PRNDS"

It seems VW has an issue with their PDIs. I had to take my car in for 3 different issues 2 weeks after delivery. and I find out after 4 months, that the shipping bump stops were still on the shocks
How the hell did you not know the shocks had shipping bumps in them? what was the difference in ride when you took them out? wow?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Turns out i drove on the shipping bump stops for 5000 miles (they noticed it in the first oil change).

Honestly....i cant really tell a difference before and after.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts