Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there changes?whats the difference in price? (consider the car as brand new)....im thinking of buying an 07 if there`s no changes and if the price is lower?
[help]

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
dbaut1sta said:
are there changes?whats the difference in price? (consider the car as brand new)....im thinking of buying an 07 if there`s no changes and if the price is lower?
[help]
They cahnged the "packages" slightly.
Climatronic has a different button
The 08 sits a little lower (??)

The motor/power is the same and so are the colors.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Actually I believe the 07' sat lower by a few mm's to bring it to euro spec. I think the 08' is identical to the 07' aside from the natural evolutionary efi tweaks that vw will make. Nothing that the dealership shouldn't update anyway when the service the car. I'd go for the 07, you'll save yourself a ton of cash, and also probably get a special financing rate from vw. the dealers throw cash at outgoing model year cars to get them off the lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^thanks.how much will i expect a dealer will sell an 07 gti with package 2 + huff wheels?another thing is,will it be better to get the vw aero body kit or just opt for an aftermarket?money wise which is better?
[help]

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
dbaut1sta said:
^^^thanks.how much will i expect a dealer will sell an 07 gti with package 2 + huff wheels?another thing is,will it be better to get the vw aero body kit or just opt for an aftermarket?money wise which is better?
[help]
I can't tell you about the prices... but you will save quite a few bucks if you go with the factory body kit when you order the car. They'll paint them, mount them and warranty them O0

Unless you wanna go nuts :D with carbon fibre- I'd say the factory kit looks the best. >:D

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah Agreed on the factory body kit. I think it looks great too. It's aggressive looking yet a lot more subtle than any aftermarket kit would be. Plus, as stated, it'll be painted and what not, and you'll just save yourself the heartache of the color not quite matching.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would definately go factory on the body kit, i am. You may or may not save money on the kit it self, but then when you add factory matched paint and then if it gets scratcheds or torn off............lets hope not, no jumping, it will be under warranty! O0

·
Registered
84 Posts
I thought they got rid of climatronic altogether? Reflex silver is special order, and my salesguy told me that that was the most popular color!

http://myfastgti.com/vw-gti/general-announcements/2008-gti-spects-(official-fro-vw-website)/0/

·
Registered
84 Posts
dbaut1sta said:
[help]
manual or automatic? you should research the invoice price and make sure you get it at or below invoice no matter what. I've got the 2007 pricing, which I also found at edmonds.com etc, but I don't know anything about the 2008 pricing for comparison. The invoice will also include the dest charge, VW dealer group advertising fee, floorplan interest reserve and port prep fee, which will vary according to where you are.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Euridice said:
dbaut1sta said:
[help]
manual or automatic? you should research the invoice price and make sure you get it at or below invoice no matter what. I've got the 2007 pricing, which I also found at edmonds.com etc, but I don't know anything about the 2008 pricing for comparison. The invoice will also include the dest charge, VW dealer group advertising fee, floorplan interest reserve and port prep fee, which will vary according to where you are.
Thanks for bringing up Edmunds. I know that some of you do a lot of research. Do you think those invoice prices listed by Edmunds are real? I know there are holdbacks and other incentives for a dealer, but still the invoice prices seem high to me. In some cases I don't see how a dealer could stay in business unless they sold a lot of cars for the MSRP. Maybe they do? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Right now, VW is giving $500 off MSRP (on 2007's) to the dealers, which they should pass on to you. You can go to Edmunds.com to find out what the invoice is on the car you want. Take the $500 off that and negotiate from there. Keep in mind the dealer has to make some profit on the car. The dealer also gets a "holdback" from VW of a few percent of MSRP at the end of the year depending on how many cars they sell, etc., so even if they sell you the car at invoice, they make some profit. When you go to make a deal, take the printout from Edmunds with you, so they know that you know. If they are upfront with you, they should not flinch when you ask to see their invoice. If they start to shuck and jive, head for the door. The odds are they will change their tune. If not, find another dealer who is willing to deal on your terms.

Redshift
07 BM Pkg #1, DSG

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is that in addition to the incentive where VW gets $500 when the buyer finances through VW? I think the best approach is not to make an offer but to get dealers with the approximate car you want to give you competitive bids. Not all dealers are willing to do that, and if the 2007 car you want is not available a lot of places with the exact features, that might not work as well. Right now it's the end of the month so there may be incentives in terms of making sales quotas at the dealer, in addition to needing to get rid of the 2007.

My invoice info is at home or I'd tell you if it matched Edmunds exactly. Once I bought the car, I was just interested in the price I was getting and trying to get out of there without adding a lot of financing and insurance type extras!

The main thing is to do your homework and know your figures, I think. The Edmunds site also has the average price paid in your area, the true market value thing, which could be useful. The approach of starting with invoice and making an offer would be a bad idea, because you just don't know what other incentives there are!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I purchased my 2007 GTI in March. 2 door, DSG, 18” Huffs, Monster Mats & trunk liner. Total MSRP including the $640 destination was $24,870. Dealer discounted price $1,247 to $23,623. According to Edmunds Total Invoice was $23,209. According to Edmunds a fair deal would be $23,653. That’s after subtracting the Dealer Holdback and then adding back a 4% profit. So it sounds like everyone came out alright. But here’s the good part. The dealer allowed $8,800 for my 1999 Acura TL trade-in that was worth only $7,500 according to Kelley Blue Book and even less according to Edmunds. I think Edmunds said it was worth about $6,800. The best price I got when shopping it to 4 used car dealers was $7,250. So to me it was like getting an extra $1,550 discount. There’s no way a wholesaler paid them $8,800 for that TL. Something that must have worked in my favor was dealing on March 30th, the day before the last day of the quarter…with rain in the forecast. But their doc. fee was a ridiculous $400, so they made another $300 there I guess. I had bargained hard with the dealer’s other store across town at the end of December and again in January. Their best deal was not even close what I eventually got. Personally, I think one can do better than what Edmunds suggests.

·
Registered
253 Posts
if you buy a 07 gti instead of 08 then you will save big bucks!!! i think at the end of the year will be the best time. the have low prices and i think monthly payments are pretty low too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
:D

I test drove the 08 GTI on thursday a manual one...i fell in love with it...the buttons on the steering wheel are different and they dont have the headlight cleaner anymore.
I might buy that GTI

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.