My Fast GTi banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My wife and I have an 07 GTI with the 6 speed manual. Its a nice car tornado red 4 door and we have a little over 4k on it. Recently my wife has noticed that when she downshifts into third gear it won't let her. She noticed this the other day at 40mph she tried to downshift and it wouldn't shift into third. Any ideas? Were a little concerned have read alot about VW reliability and I just had a very bad experience with my VW Passat. Is there anything electronically or mechanically that would stop her from shifting? I drove it the other day and it seemed fine to me. Could she have been going to fast to downshift?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
749 Posts
A little more info could narrow this down some. If she tried to force it into third at 40 and it grinded, then it was just too fast for that downshift. She should have been able to ease it into gear though. If she put gentle pressure on it and gave it a couple seconds to spool up the synchro but it still wouldn't go in, then the synchro would likely be bad. I have the same transmission and love it, but I have noticed it takes some care a little patience to make those downshifts without revving the engine to match. If you match the engine speed with the gears, mine goes in like a toothpick into hot oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She said it didn't grind she couldn't get it to go into gear. I haven't been able to duplicate it. It shifts pretty nice for me and makes driving the car fun. Although I don't drive it much. I told her to watch what she is doing and take her time and if it happens again to note what speed she was traveling at and what gear she was shifting to.

·
Registered
139 Posts
papacorn said:
She said it didn't grind she couldn't get it to go into gear. I haven't been able to duplicate it. It shifts pretty nice for me and makes driving the car fun. Although I don't drive it much. I told her to watch what she is doing and take her time and if it happens again to note what speed she was traveling at and what gear she was shifting to.
Sounds like driver error to me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts