Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having an intermittent problem recently and wondering if you have any ideas?

Its missing under Full Boost at about 3500-4000 rpm. Boost stays at 17-18 psi even with problem, power stops of course. Its for sure missing and timing seems to get off. I have a Stage II APR tune, Full APR exhaust. Otherwise engine runs flawlessly. Even does fine at higher RPMs.
Previously has not thrown a code until just 1 day ago when I stayed in the gas to see if I could blow it up for good! Alas it didn't work, except this time it did throw a code/Check engine light. I do not have a Code Reader. I have had it at dealer, and they had no clue. I changed the plugs and ran injector Cleaner. Did not help. Each time to the dealer they tell me its $120 for nothing! HELP!! I am planning to remove the Tune and see if problem goes away. Could it be a problem with a ignition advancer? Does this motor even have that? I assume there is variable timing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had a Older Mitsubishi Starion Turbo that had a hole in the exhaust valve that did the same exact thing! Worrying me!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nobody has any ideas? Some are saying switch Coil Packs to the Audi R8 versions. And a Cam Follower? I am not sure what that is actually. Cam Sensor?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Not sure what your problem could be. Go to your local autozone and ask them if they can scan your car for you, or find a local with vagcom. Its a lot easier to diagnose a car if we have codes rather than just shooting in the dark. Also, as an FSI owner, I highly recommend you read up on cam follower and the issues associated with it. If you don't take care of it it can ruin your engine

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the Coils. I replaced them with New Audi R8 versions. Cost was about $70. And now its for sure more peppy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts