Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey GTI People,

In 2002 I bought my very own GTI VR6, with a six speed transmission from Boston VW and have enjoyed it very much. Because I'm moving to downtown I'm thinking of selling it (can't afford the parking, nor will I use it much), but I'm not sure what the best way is to a) get a fair price for it and b) have my car end up with someone who appreciates it as much as I do (I know, a little sentimental).

The car spent half its life in the car friendly climate of Boise, ID from which I just drove it back to Boston, without problems. It now has 85k miles on it.

I'd also like to hear from you guys whether the following repair history is typical:
- ignition coils went bad (recall / warranty at 20k miles)
- blinker sound got 'stuck' after using it (fixed in warranty at 40k miles)
- Airbag memory module went bad (caused airbag light to be on). Module replaced by dealer in Boise at around 60k miles)
- driver side doorlock kept saying door was open when it wasn't. module replaced at 70k miles)
- Horn stopped working. Not the lock one, the real one. replaced at 75k
- clutch hydraulic system slave cylinder leak (caused clutch to stop working... bummer) fixed at 79k miles
- right before the cross country drive it got the standard 80k mile service (spark plugs, belts, fluids, etc) as well as new tires.

Anyway, that's my story. I'd love to hear what you have to say about it or have any questions, as well as what my best avenue is to sell it to someone who knows what they're buying.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Those all sound like fairly normal VW problems to me (especially coil pack - they go bad on the newer cars too).

You could certainly put it up for sale here (just remember to add an asking price).

I don't know if you're familiar with www.vwvortex.com but that might be your best bet for selling it to another enthusiast who is looking for a car.

Good luck with the sale, and welcome :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For Sale: 2002 GTI VR6 (2.8L) - 6Spd

Thanks cbursten!

Here it is then; my car is for sale:

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/1326413077.html

I think $7500 is a fair price, considering the blue book value of $8700.
Aside from the aforementioned fixes, there's currently some creaking when going over speed bumps or on/off driveways.
I use synthetic oil and premium gas.
I have a repair manual that I'd gladly include; I've never used it myself but it appears to be very comprehensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts