Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Gti Vr6 turbo. Recently while driving i have been experiencing a lot of odd, not good sounding noises and i can't quite figure out what they are. I have a couple ideas but I can't quite put my finger on it. Anyway, there is a rubbing type noise like the wheel was rubbing when i turn left, and only left. When i straighten the wheel out or turn right, it doesn't make the noise. Checked for rubbing and nothing. I thought possibly rotating the tires, I'm going to try that and see if it helps. Also i checked the steering (power steering fluid) and it was perfectly find (pump and all). The other noise is a cracking or grinding type noise and it does not sound good at all. It sounds it makes the sound in both the front and back of the car, sometimes while going over dips, bumps, ect. Other times it just randomly does it. I thought possibly maybe it could be brakes/rotors/calipers? I don't know, changing the breaks soon as well. ANY SUGGESTIONS!?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Wheel bearing. Get it cheacked ASAP. They can blow and be no good for anything in the knuckle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's one thing that my dad suggested to me. I think that could be a very good possibility. There roads here in PA, are just awful. You can drive a nice low car anywhere in this state without scraping bumping, hitting huge pot holes, ect. I could have possibly hit a big pot hole and that might have broken it.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
That's one thing that my dad suggested to me. I think that could be a very good possibility. There roads here in PA, are just awful. You can drive a nice low car anywhere in this state without scraping bumping, hitting huge pot holes, ect. I could have possibly hit a big pot hole and that might have broken it.
Possibly. Usually the bearings will go faster after you lower it or put on spacers. Have a mechanic check it out. There will be play in the steering and a slight wobble in the steering wheel when it gets bad enough to do damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No play in the steering. I don't think it's too bad yet. I talked to a guy that I know from a garage in my town and he said that when you turn right and it makes noise, it's the left bearing, and when you turn left and make noises it's the right bearing. How true is that statement? Doesn't really make sense to me. Anyway, do you think i would just need a bearing or the whole hub?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
No play in the steering. I don't think it's too bad yet. I talked to a guy that I know from a garage in my town and he said that when you turn right and it makes noise, it's the left bearing, and when you turn left and make noises it's the right bearing. How true is that statement? Doesn't really make sense to me. Anyway, do you think i would just need a bearing or the whole hub?
If it's the rear it'll be a whole new hub but their not to expensive. And if it's the front it's just a bearing, as long as it doesn't get too loud and blow, the knuckle that houses the bearing should be fine. Here is a link to wheel bearing parts for what you've got. Look through page 1 and 2 to find all the parts you need to replace any of the bearings. Let me know how it goes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts