Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Of course it needs to be detuned. It makes sense from a business standpoint and I completely agree with them.

However, that means the money we saved on the car instead of the S3 can be used towards gaining that 65 extra HP for much, much less than $20k.

edit: Look what I found:

"Compared with the A3, this engine is an advanced version which has undergone fundamental changes. The new turbocharger with its enlarged turbine and compressor rotor generates 1.2 bar of boost pressure - an unusually high figure. A modified intercooler significantly lowers the temperature of the compressed air, thus increasing the air mass necessary for combustion. "

Just a different turbo and intercooler. I think we can buy pretty sweet intercoolers with $20k.

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/audi_news/article_1801.shtml

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is the same engine just on steroids. Call it the MLB edition.

Stronger pistons, rods, valves, crank, bigger turbo, intercooler, etc.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It doesn't look as cool in the least bit.

I think we'd all just mod the GTI, is that the general consensus?

·
Registered
4 Posts
ZULU said:

LOL...I guess the GTI would be Barry Bonds as a Pirate and the S3 would be barry as a Giant.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
SRVbluezz said:
ZULU said:

LOL...I guess the GTI would be Barry Bonds as a Pirate and the S3 would be barry as a Giant.
haha... thats a nice way to look at it :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thalo said:
You think so? I don't like that the back swoops down right to the bumper - kind of like they're ripping off Porsche, and the angled hatch creating inside-angled tail lights is straight off the Civic. Weak. Audi's first take on the TT was insta-classic, and now they're dumbing it down with all the concessions to what they think the public wants. Reminds me of what happened to the 300Z. That car's body was beautiful, and now look at it. Riveted door handle guards? What is it, an Xterra?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
The genesis of the TT is actually similar to that of Porsche's models. The original TT was loosely based on the new Beatle, which is based on the old Beatle, which was designed by Ferdinand Porsche. I think the new design looks a bit more sophisticatd though.... look forward to seeing the front of the car.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thalo said:
The original TT was loosely based on the new Beatle, which is based on the old Beatle, which was designed by Ferdinand Porsche.
That's quite a stretch.

You know, I kinda own a Ferrari. My sister's friend in high school knew a guy who worked at a company who's CEO rear ended a Ferrari on his way home from the bar a few years back.

Also, who moved this topic here?

·
Registered
263 Posts
s3 is ballerific, still audi is gonna need to up the horses to comepete with the m coupe other cars around that price

new tt is lame though. i love the 1st gen tt's.

·
Registered
89 Posts
meh they love screwing north america over when it comes to any kind of vehicles.. just not fair :( the s3 is awsome i absolutely am in love with it, but in essence tuning a gti is waaay more practical and cost effective :) only great thing is that u get great power all under warrenty and its all stock :)
The GTI i do think was under powered even other 2.0T's in vw groups in europe pump out a bit more.. same with the 30th anniversary edition they coulda done that to stok :(

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Does it matter here though? Last I heard, the S3 wasn't coming to the U.S.
They once said the same thing about the S6 and S8. I'm sure the S3 will eventually ship to North America. Judging by the review though, it doesn't look to be worth the $50K pricetag (it would be great at $35K-$40K though).

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
There's a lot more to the S3 than just a stronger version of the 2.0T. It's also 4WD, probably has a way better sound system, lot's more interior features, aluminum body (I think), just about everything is better. Still, all that being said it should probably sell for $10K-$15K more, not $25K more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts