My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[help] Been trying to remove engine cover to get at the filter on my car,removed hoses clips etc but cant budge it. Read that it should be yanked really hard, in which direction is the question straight up or to the front,tried both ways and it doesn't come off. I'm certain if i pull at it any harder it will break somewhere. Anyone got some advice.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Don't yank! If you're standing directly in front of the engine, get a firm grip on an corner (find a bulkier piece to grab, not a single layer of plastic) and start to pull up firm but smooth. If you don't feel it moving, pull harder but don't yank. Once that corner pops move to the next corner, and so on. Some of the grommets will start to reseat themselves as you work with the other ones but don't worry.

After you've popped each corner, grab the two sides and pull up and towards you. Same thing; pull firmly, but don't yank. It'll come.

If you're putting the cover back on, be sure to lubricate the grommets so you can get it off next time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx i took ur advice and it worked got the cover off ok, good idea also for anyone else with similar hardship is to have engine warmed a bit up before trying to remove cover, rubber grommets are softer with the heat and more pliable and so easier to get off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.