Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2.0 FSI Cam Lobe Wear

13K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  CTREE96 
#1 ·
Unfortunately for me my Fast is stuck 400 miles away because the stupid camshaft lobe that drives the fuel pump wore down...

My problem presented like vapor lock... it shook violently like there was no gas then hit it hard like I floored it (had the cruise control on at 70MPH) then as I was pulling off the Interstate when I would push the gas pedal it wouldn't rev the engine. I called my dealer and they said I could try and drive it 140Miles to the nearest shop or call the roadside assistance. I needed to be to work Today so I limped it along to Memphis TN where the dealership was and they read the engine Codes and gave me the bad info...

Fast Broken for a week... more than 400 Mile from where I work. New Camshaft and Follower...

Good News... VW is paying for my rental car.

Please keep an eye out for problems where your car seems to loose power.... this could happen to you... VWVortex has some info on this if you need more....

and I have a question... does my break in period start over...? I don't know much about how camshafts and valves "wear together"

Chris

See less See more
#5 ·
5000....wow, it had to be a production/material defect in the cam, not wear. I'll bet the lobe just fractured off because of a flaw in the metal.

In my opinion you should absolutely treat the new cam with a "break in period". In a perfect world the new cam will be perfectly identical to the old one and everything will jive just as before. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world and any variation will have an effect. Take 'er easy for a while and let everything settle.

I would be very intersted in seeing pics of the defective cam. Any chance you can convince the service department to give it to you or at least let you see it and take a few shots?

And anybody who has found any decent performance cams feel free to pipe up.

#6 ·
That is a really really good point... I was soo concerned about getting home for Work that I didn't take any pics with my camera... when I go to pick it up I will get the service department to show me the removed cam and follower... btw the service bulletin that applies to this is

15 07 04 for anyone who wants to find all the technical babble... specifically they talk about a new part number that has a harder surface.

#7 ·
I'm voting for a heat treat issue vs material. Those are case hardened so that the outside is nice and hard for wear, and the isnside will take fatigue (like a good cookie). Too much case, and you break, not enough, and the surface wears. Once the new cam is installed you are clear to freakin nail it out of the lot.

#8 ·
Gunny said:
I'm voting for a heat treat issue vs material. Those are case hardened so that the outside is nice and hard for wear, and the isnside will take fatigue (like a good cookie). Too much case, and you break, not enough, and the surface wears. Once the new cam is installed you are clear to freakin nail it out of the lot.
I wouldn't be worried about damaging the new cam but if the dimensions of lobes are different than the other bad part it will have a different stroke....thats why I say take it calm like pilgrim. Hey I could be just a nanny..oh well.

#9 ·
Just got more word from the Service Manager... some part wouldn't come off the exhaust camshaft (so they could get the intake one out) so it will be at least another 2 days and they are now replacing 3 parts..

1 Intake Camshaft and Follower for high pressure fuel pump

2 High Pressure Fuel pump

3 Exhaust Camshaft.

I will call VWoA tomorrow and try to explain that I am in the military and can't take 2 days to drive 400 miles each way to pick up the car at the drop of a hat.... please give me advice?!? anyone...

#11 ·
make them give you a new one... :) just play the whole im fighting for the country and you wont even spare me a new car?!?! hah... its worth a shot... maybe hahaha. i think if you get on their ass about it they will get it done somewhat faster... might be insignificant of how much faster it gets done though :/

#12 ·
CTREE96 said:
Just got more word from the Service Manager... some part wouldn't come off the exhaust camshaft (so they could get the intake one out) so it will be at least another 2 days and they are now replacing 3 parts..

1 Intake Camshaft and Follower for high pressure fuel pump

2 High Pressure Fuel pump

3 Exhaust Camshaft.

I will call VWoA tomorrow and try to explain that I am in the military and can't take 2 days to drive 400 miles each way to pick up the car at the drop of a hat.... please give me advice?!? anyone...
Just curious, what were the symptoms that led you to take it in?

#13 ·
He opened the thread with this:

"Unfortunately for me my Fast is stuck 400 miles away because the stupid camshaft lobe that drives the fuel pump wore down...

My problem presented like vapor lock... it shook violently like there was no gas then hit it hard like I floored it (had the cruise control on at 70MPH) then as I was pulling off the Interstate when I would push the gas pedal it wouldn't rev the engine. I called my dealer and they said I could try and drive it 140Miles to the nearest shop or call the roadside assistance. I needed to be to work Today so I limped it along to Memphis TN where the dealership was and they read the engine Codes and gave me the bad info..."

#18 ·
Tru dat, tru dat. haha.. Gunny's a good guy although seems to absent from the forums more than before.

You're up there on my list of respectable, trustworthy people too 22350.

Dragon
PMAZ
GTfly
10bv01
eh... i don't feel like making a list...

Back to the topic:

CTREE.. did you call and see if they could work something out for you?

#21 ·
kryptonkid07 said:
Tru dat, tru dat. haha.. Gunny's a good guy although seems to absent from the forums more than before.

You're up there on my list of respectable, trustworthy people too 22350.

Dragon
PMAZ
GTfly
10bv01
eh... i don't feel like making a list...

Back to the topic:

CTREE.. did you call and see if they could work something out for you?
Likewise my brotha! O0

#23 ·
So they replaced both Camshafts, and the Fuel pump....

I picked it up today... so far it seems fine it made the 400 mile drive without any problems and at about 28 MPG

I also had them look at the stereo again to see if they could get rid of the "bass" problem and unfortunately it acted up on the way home... I also am going to have to take it in again for the right side windshield washer nozzle because they didn't have any in stock to replace it.

#24 ·
I really do appreciate your honesty. Most people will hide this kin of stuff, but i like the fact that you leave nothing out. I am kinda getting an idea of what to expect though no one yet has seem to have this problem too. Thanks, and good luck with your car. let us know in a couple of thousand miles of how it is doing?
Chris

#25 ·
I'm waiting for it "all" to be taken care of before I put any Opinion comments down on how VW handled this... as far as I can tell all 06-07 Audi's and VW's with the 2.0FSI "could" have this problem what's interesting is that the initial year the 05 Audi's don't have this and I've been told that the 08's don't either....

The Service manager called VW support and they immediately asked if the problem was happening at High altitude and High temperature... which I found interesting I guess that means our cars don't like thin air....

Anyways if anyone has any questions about my particular GTI problems please ask I work in Aviation and think that everyone deserves to know what's out there and what to look for...

V/R

CTREE96

#26 ·
CTREE96 said:
I'm waiting for it "all" to be taken care of before I put any Opinion comments down on how VW handled this... as far as I can tell all 06-07 Audi's and VW's with the 2.0FSI "could" have this problem what's interesting is that the initial year the 05 Audi's don't have this and I've been told that the 08's don't either....

The Service manager called VW support and they immediately asked if the problem was happening at High altitude and High temperature... which I found interesting I guess that means our cars don't like thin air....

Anyways if anyone has any questions about my particular GTI problems please ask I work in Aviation and think that everyone deserves to know what's out there and what to look for...

V/R

CTREE96
That would match carburizing issues that I suggested before. It is an undetectable condition (save sectioning the cam (destructive)). Once discoverd, they would just have a window of build dates where the condition may be present. I am on my way to China on an issue very similar to this right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.