My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately for me my Fast is stuck 400 miles away because the stupid camshaft lobe that drives the fuel pump wore down...

My problem presented like vapor lock... it shook violently like there was no gas then hit it hard like I floored it (had the cruise control on at 70MPH) then as I was pulling off the Interstate when I would push the gas pedal it wouldn't rev the engine. I called my dealer and they said I could try and drive it 140Miles to the nearest shop or call the roadside assistance. I needed to be to work Today so I limped it along to Memphis TN where the dealership was and they read the engine Codes and gave me the bad info...

Fast Broken for a week... more than 400 Mile from where I work. New Camshaft and Follower...

Good News... VW is paying for my rental car.

Please keep an eye out for problems where your car seems to loose power.... this could happen to you... VWVortex has some info on this if you need more....

and I have a question... does my break in period start over...? I don't know much about how camshafts and valves "wear together"

Chris

·
Registered
137 Posts
when you first get the car, it will probably be broken in alreaady. But to be on the safe side, run it at about 1500 rpms for about 15mins before you drive it................then drive it normal for a while to be on the safe side.(Don't cram it i mean)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
5000....wow, it had to be a production/material defect in the cam, not wear. I'll bet the lobe just fractured off because of a flaw in the metal.

In my opinion you should absolutely treat the new cam with a "break in period". In a perfect world the new cam will be perfectly identical to the old one and everything will jive just as before. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world and any variation will have an effect. Take 'er easy for a while and let everything settle.

I would be very intersted in seeing pics of the defective cam. Any chance you can convince the service department to give it to you or at least let you see it and take a few shots?

And anybody who has found any decent performance cams feel free to pipe up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a really really good point... I was soo concerned about getting home for Work that I didn't take any pics with my camera... when I go to pick it up I will get the service department to show me the removed cam and follower... btw the service bulletin that applies to this is

15 07 04 for anyone who wants to find all the technical babble... specifically they talk about a new part number that has a harder surface.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm voting for a heat treat issue vs material. Those are case hardened so that the outside is nice and hard for wear, and the isnside will take fatigue (like a good cookie). Too much case, and you break, not enough, and the surface wears. Once the new cam is installed you are clear to freakin nail it out of the lot.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Gunny said:
I'm voting for a heat treat issue vs material. Those are case hardened so that the outside is nice and hard for wear, and the isnside will take fatigue (like a good cookie). Too much case, and you break, not enough, and the surface wears. Once the new cam is installed you are clear to freakin nail it out of the lot.
I wouldn't be worried about damaging the new cam but if the dimensions of lobes are different than the other bad part it will have a different stroke....thats why I say take it calm like pilgrim. Hey I could be just a nanny..oh well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got more word from the Service Manager... some part wouldn't come off the exhaust camshaft (so they could get the intake one out) so it will be at least another 2 days and they are now replacing 3 parts..

1 Intake Camshaft and Follower for high pressure fuel pump

2 High Pressure Fuel pump

3 Exhaust Camshaft.

I will call VWoA tomorrow and try to explain that I am in the military and can't take 2 days to drive 400 miles each way to pick up the car at the drop of a hat.... please give me advice?!? anyone...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sorry dude....unless you think you can pull the car and get it fixed elsewhere easier...you don't have much recourse.

What a bummer!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
make them give you a new one... :) just play the whole im fighting for the country and you wont even spare me a new car?!?! hah... its worth a shot... maybe hahaha. i think if you get on their ass about it they will get it done somewhat faster... might be insignificant of how much faster it gets done though :/

·
Registered
573 Posts
CTREE96 said:
Just got more word from the Service Manager... some part wouldn't come off the exhaust camshaft (so they could get the intake one out) so it will be at least another 2 days and they are now replacing 3 parts..

1 Intake Camshaft and Follower for high pressure fuel pump

2 High Pressure Fuel pump

3 Exhaust Camshaft.

I will call VWoA tomorrow and try to explain that I am in the military and can't take 2 days to drive 400 miles each way to pick up the car at the drop of a hat.... please give me advice?!? anyone...
Just curious, what were the symptoms that led you to take it in?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
He opened the thread with this:

"Unfortunately for me my Fast is stuck 400 miles away because the stupid camshaft lobe that drives the fuel pump wore down...

My problem presented like vapor lock... it shook violently like there was no gas then hit it hard like I floored it (had the cruise control on at 70MPH) then as I was pulling off the Interstate when I would push the gas pedal it wouldn't rev the engine. I called my dealer and they said I could try and drive it 140Miles to the nearest shop or call the roadside assistance. I needed to be to work Today so I limped it along to Memphis TN where the dealership was and they read the engine Codes and gave me the bad info..."

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ah crap, I remember reading that. It doesn't pay for me to read and try to post in a hurry. I should have gone back the beginning of the thread.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm wounded....

Well ya, ok....I suppose I am kinda that way with some people, oh well...know yourself and love yourself it works for me. ;D

But I wouldn't pop off to Gunny....he's earned respect in my book. O0

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Tru dat, tru dat. haha.. Gunny's a good guy although seems to absent from the forums more than before.

You're up there on my list of respectable, trustworthy people too 22350.

Dragon
PMAZ
GTfly
10bv01
eh... i don't feel like making a list...

Back to the topic:

CTREE.. did you call and see if they could work something out for you?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still waiting to hear back on if they will extend the warranty because of the metal floating through the engine that came off of the camshaft...

here's to keeping fingers crossed...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.