Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, whats the trick with shifting from 1st to 2nd without the big jerk? I'm not new to manual, though its been 5 years, I just can't seem to get that 1-2 transition as smooth as I'd like it to be.

thanks!
-daniel

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Personally.. when I go first to second, I double clutch. (around town only) But I know what you mean.. hope this helps

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the turbo is not on or is on? I would think that its the boost built up that causes the jerk. If I wait a second before letting the clutch out into 2nd, it doesn't jerk so much. But, surely there is a way to do it quickly and smoothly.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
it can also be the c diverter valve. If you have a bad c valve you'll loose low end power specially in 1st gear. Check out the forum for C Diverter Valve.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sure hope its not the diverter. My GTI only has 1400 miles on it! I've got plenty-0-power in the lower rpm's so I don't think thats it. I'm just not so smooth with that shift yet.

I would love that turbo blow off sound. How tough is it to just replace that diverter and not have to worry about it in the future?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I'm sure it's not the diverter. 1st to 2nd is the hardest shift in any car, especially at higher RPMs.

·
Registered
346 Posts
GranTurismoInjection said:
I have DSG and my shit jerks like a motherfucker.
From 1st to 2nd, or going from neutral to 1st? After backing out of a spot, I'll sometimes get a little jolt as I put it in S.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
just from 1st to 2nd. I have to check my dv valve to make sure im not leaking boost. On my boost guage it doesn't read past 0 when i hit the gas in 1st. It feels slow in 1st gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ahh (relieved I'm not the only one). I'm new to manual shifting too and the only experience I've had is driving my girlfriend's mini cooper S. I can go from dead stop in first and get going without jerking and feel a constant acceleration on the mini pretty consistenly. I've found the GTI requires more skill to get it to do that. I can't really find the answer but so far the best i can do is to find the engagement point, rev to about 1500, let the clutch out slightly (possibly slipping it) until it gets going and hold it there for just a wee bit more as it rolls then let it the clutch out quickly but gradually while applying more gas. And as far as 1st to 2nd, I find that holding the clutch slightly longer is the key. Basically gas..clutch/shift to 2nd..hold clutch for another sec then back on the gas <-still not full proof but it works. The rest of the way is pretty smooth. But then again, I'm a newb so I might be doing it all wrong. Anyone else have any advise opinion on this?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Mataleao said:
Ahh (relieved I'm not the only one). I'm new to manual shifting too and the only experience I've had is driving my girlfriend's mini cooper S. I can go from dead stop in first and get going without jerking and feel a constant acceleration on the mini pretty consistenly. I've found the GTI requires more skill to get it to do that. I can't really find the answer but so far the best i can do is to find the engagement point, rev to about 1500, let the clutch out slightly (possibly slipping it) until it gets going and hold it there for just a wee bit more as it rolls then let it the clutch out quickly but gradually while applying more gas. And as far as 1st to 2nd, I find that holding the clutch slightly longer is the key. Basically gas..clutch/shift to 2nd..hold clutch for another sec then back on the gas <-still not full proof but it works. The rest of the way is pretty smooth. But then again, I'm a newb so I might be doing it all wrong. Anyone else have any advise opinion on this?
It's all in the left foot. I know that sounds stupid, but unfortunately some folks come out to my work and don't know how to shift. The biggest thing that helps is the fact that you have to control your left foot. Just because you feel the clutch starting to mesh doesn't mean you can dump the clutch. Whatever rate you begin moving your left foot, continue all the way through the motion until you're completely off the clutch. Foot sensitivity is so important in driving whether you're racing, or just going to the store.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
The right foot's got a lot to do with it too. I mean, you just can't step on the gas the same way as you would on an automatic. To be able to push it down ever so softly to get just enough gas to engage the gear without stalling but not so much that it causes jerkiness or burning smell takes a lot of practice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When shifting sometimes I used to look at my passenger... shift... and watch there body jerk forward. But when I asked most of them about the jerkyness of the manual, many of them didnt even notice. So oh well screw smooth shifting, its all about speed.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I believe it has to do with both feet. Depending on how fast you let out the clutch is going to determine the amount of gas you can give it, and vice versa.

·
Registered
300 Posts
GranTurismoInjection said:
I have DSG and my shit jerks like a motherfucker.
OK, yeah, on occasion it's terrible. Almost always when it's cold. Always in manual mode. I get going from a stop, click into second, and there's a long wait (unusually long), and then Bang - throw you forward in your seat Bang - into second.

I've thought about mentioning it to the dealer, but they're always so insistent on "show me how to reproduce it." But it only happens sometimes...

·
Registered
10 Posts
dgm said:
Ok, whats the trick with shifting from 1st to 2nd without the big jerk? I'm not new to manual, though its been 5 years, I just can't seem to get that 1-2 transition as smooth as I'd like it to be.

thanks!
-daniel
Practice, and experience. I drove all kinds of big trucks my hole life, tractor trailers, CDLs you name it ive prolly drove or sat in the passenger seat. 10 speeds 13 speeds, anyways what im getting at is they are all there own beast, and know one can really describe how to do it. Just try, its possible.

Just try different approches, like more gas less clutch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
PMAZ said:
It's all in the left foot. I know that sounds stupid, but unfortunately some folks come out to my work and don't know how to shift. The biggest thing that helps is the fact that you have to control your left foot. Just because you feel the clutch starting to mesh doesn't mean you can dump the clutch. Whatever rate you begin moving your left foot, continue all the way through the motion until you're completely off the clutch. Foot sensitivity is so important in driving whether you're racing, or just going to the store.
I gotta agree 100% with PMAZ. It's all in the Left Foot. I have had no jerking motions with my FAST through any of the gears (N thru 6) and in fact think it's the best manual tranny I've ever owned.

Speaking of going from 1st to 2nd, last night I had to get from one side of PCH to the other during rush hour traffic. I saw a break in the traffic and went for it. When I went from 1st to 2nd I got the most satisfying CHIRP and was sitting in my car giggling maniacly at how much I love to drive my FAST! >:D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.