Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay ive been lookin all over this forum for help on this. Someone please help the squid...
I bought a completely stock 04 GTI, n lets be honest if you have a turbo.. you want the famous turbo swooosh! sound, if you will. On my first turbo car (04 mazdaspeed protege) all i did was put an injen intake and i got the famous turkey call from the mazda turbo.
So this being said if i simply install an injen intake, will it give me the swooosh im looking for? or do i have to install a BOV to do this for me?

Anyone running just the injen intake... if so how does it sound? if at all...
THANX

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Intake.

/thread.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Okay ive been lookin all over this forum for help on this. Someone please help the squid...
I bought a completely stock 04 GTI, n lets be honest if you have a turbo.. you want the famous turbo swooosh! sound , if you will. On my first turbo car (04 mazdaspeed protege) all i did was put an injen intake and i got the famous turkey call from the mazda turbo.
So this being said if i simply install an injen intake, will it give me the swooosh im looking for? or do i have to install a BOV to do this for me?

Anyone running just the injen intake... if so how does it sound? if at all...
THANX
False... i dont care for the noise, i like performance that noise is the sound of me losing performance.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
False... i dont care for the noise, i like performance that noise is the sound of me losing performance.
The excess boost that you hear blow off when the throttle plate closes is NOT a loss of power... lulz. I'm sure you know that, though. What the OP is referring to is just the blow off sound you either get with a CAI or BOV.

OP, if you want a nice whoosh sound, get a plastic cold air intake, like the Carbonio. They sound great!! I LOVE the way mine sounds... and trust me, I HATE the infamous high pitched BOV sound that all the nubs prefer (no offense to the nubs! :p).

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
you want the sound get a BOV

its a useless mod

thats coming from a guy that has one on his car

and has 2 BOV to play with

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
The excess boost that you hear blow off when the throttle plate closes is NOT a loss of power... lulz. I'm sure you know that, though. What the OP is referring to is just the blow off sound you either get with a CAI or BOV.
It's the sound of no recirqulation aka slower spool time. Aka power loss

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx for the help guys im def gunna go with CAI first..

@ grand master gti, if you dont like that sound than this thread isnt for you (no offense).. im simply after the looks, feel, n sound, for the fun of the car.. if i want performance i hop on the gixxer.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
thanx for the help guys im def gunna go with CAI first..

@ grand master gti, if you dont like that sound than this thread isnt for you (no offense).. im simply after the looks, feel, n sound, for the fun of the car.. if i want performance i hop on the gixxer.
to me feel is performance :) just saying.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i guess your right... still love that sound tho

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Silva was giving his opinion on what he thought about the topic. O0 Better then some other things that could have been said thats for sure. He has been known to say worse. ;D

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
It's the sound of no recirqulation aka slower spool time. Aka power loss

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Do you know how much air and how much spool time you lose?

It's a number so small it's insignificant.

But to the op just put a filter after the maf.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You don't lose any to be quite honest.. this topic has been regurgitated a million times before. They are virtually the same thing. A BOV exits the pressure to the atomophere and the DV "recirculates" it to the intake track, which if you think 2 seconds about just goes right out the intake anyways. If there is a benefit to the spool with a DV, it's only milliseconds of lag we're talking about. If it was 'that' bad, Volcano would not still be running a BOV.

Go with either one and you won't notice any negligible difference with performance AND you get to enjoy the sound you want to hear. Just make sure the BOV you choose closes at idle, or the car will run like sh!t when idling. For the OP, your best bet for a nice deeper whoosh is a plastic CAI and the APR R1 Diverter Valve. That's what I have and it sounds awesome. If anyone wants to hear it, here's a vid with some sound effects I recorded:

Watch the whole vid too for a nice flyby :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if i put a hks ssqv than what happens to the stock dv.. do i plug it does it stay. can anyone show me pics of new plumbing with a bov located on that back right side of motor.?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry,.. back left side..?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
if i put a hks ssqv than what happens to the stock dv.. do i plug it does it stay. can anyone show me pics of new plumbing with a bov located on that back right side of motor.?
the bov replaces the dv..... all you do is plug the port on the intake if you want to run a bov.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
You don't lose any to be quite honest.. this topic has been regurgitated a million times before. They are virtually the same thing. A BOV exits the pressure to the atomophere and the DV "recirculates" it to the intake track, which if you think 2 seconds about just goes right out the intake anyways. If there is a benefit to the spool with a DV, it's only milliseconds of lag we're talking about. If it was 'that' bad, Volcano would not still be running a BOV.

Go with either one and you won't notice any negligible difference with performance AND you get to enjoy the sound you want to hear. Just make sure the BOV you choose closes at idle, or the car will run like sh!t when idling. For the OP, your best bet for a nice deeper whoosh is a plastic CAI and the APR R1 Diverter Valve. That's what I have and it sounds awesome. If anyone wants to hear it, here's a vid with some sound effects I recorded:

Watch the whole vid too for a nice flyby :)
Very nice!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have Neuspeed P-Flow, Apr R1 DV and a GHL 3" exhaust and love that combo. I can hear my turbo spooling, I can hear my dv (which I don't really care about) and the GHL exhaust at the back sounds great. If you pick up that P-flow and a APR R1 you should be happy, or any filter put on the MAF with an upgraded DV will suffice. Most of my friends got tired of the sound of their BOV fairly quick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts