Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my PS3 has had the YLOD 2 times in the past 4 months, and fixed it both times. I figured it's time to do something a little more extreme than a temporary bandaid. I decided to not only liquid cool it, but swap it into a computer case.

I researched computer cases that would possibly facilitate my PS3 and decided on the Apevia X-Master (silver)....it had the dimensions I was looking for for my home theater cabinets, and it had a PSU for operating the liquid cooling.

Here's my list of parts for the liquid cooling:

2x Koolance GPU-200 Water Blocks
XSPC X20 450 Pump/Reservoir
XSPC 120mm Radiator
Tygon Tubing: 3/8" ID 1/2" OD

Koolance Liquid
Koolance fittings G1/4: 3/8" ID 1/2" OD

I just finished what I could, I have a few more parts on order so this IS a work in progress. Here's what it looks like inside.

As you can see, swivel barbs would be best for the X20 (got those on order). I can't close the case until then. I'm working on cutting the 5.25" bay plate for the BD and the power/eject. I also rerouted the hdd away from the mobo and into the 3.5" bay.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. My ps3 hasn't overheated yet. But when it does I have no idea how to make that cool sh!t you did. I'll just throw it away and buy a new one

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. My ps3 hasn't overheated yet. But when it does I have no idea how to make that cool sh!t you did. I'll just throw it away and buy a new one
Agree, ill probably do the same

Altho my room is always cold cuz I like it cold and in the summer the a/c is right next to the tv stand and ps3

Using Tapatalk BS

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Dude... Overkill, I'm sure u could have just drilled the casing and cover abd put it on a laptop fan

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Dude... Overkill, I'm sure u could have just drilled the casing and cover abd put it on a laptop fan
Maybe but if you have ever seen his diy's he does quality stuff.

I've always wanted to build a mini pc inside an old original nintendo...

I want to see final pics. How much was this?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe but if you have ever seen his diy's he does quality stuff.

I've always wanted to build a mini pc inside an old original nintendo...

I want to see final pics. How much was this?
Final pics probably won't get posted till next weekend. Price.....U don't wanna know.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That wouldn't cut it. The PS3's get insanely hot. Whoever designed the system ought to be shot.
I replaced the thermal compound with Innovative Cooling's IC Diamond (which is top dog at the moment), and replaced the stock fan with Talismoon's Whisper fan. It still threw the YLOD 3 months later.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Yea looks like I'm sticking with my cheap ****ty 360, when I get the red rying I just chuck it abd get a new one... Ur the man though, I don't have a dammmm cle about that ****

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea looks like I'm sticking with my cheap ****ty 360, when I get the red rying I just chuck it abd get a new one... Ur the man though, I don't have a dammmm cle about that ****
The Red Ring Of Death on the 360 is the same problem as the Yellow Light Of Death on the PS3. It's an overheating issue where the soldering between the motherboard and the processor and GPU gets so hot that it liquifies and separates. You can use a heat gun at 700-800 degrees, run it over the processor and gpu for about 3 minutes (after you've cleaned off the thermal compound 1st). Let it sit for 30 minutes, reinstall everything and pray that it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If I'm surveying that much time fixing something, ut better b my dub, or else is getting chucked out the window

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok, so I reflowed the system. Took about 2 hours to put everything back together. Everything seems to be working fine now. I added my Talismoon Whisper Fan directly below the processors and memory modules, added dual 80mm fans (that came with the case) above the PSU. And, if you look closely, I added two wires over the power and reset (eject in this case), and connected them to the power/eject sensors on the ps3. Now I got touch capability. I have the usb cables hanging out for now. I'm waiting on a dual usb male-to-male-header to come in so I can make use of the two usb ports on the panel. I have 4 on my ps3, 1 will be used internally, and I'll lose the use of 1 (not too shabby....the front faceplate is so easy to remove though that, if I needed to, I could get to them).

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No ps3 for me then ;D
The PS3 Slim models are much better (in terms of the overheating issue). I've only seen a few that got the YLOD on ebay. The Slim is the way the PS3 should have been built in the first place.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
The PS3 Slim models are much better (in terms of the overheating issue). I've only seen a few that got the YLOD on ebay. The Slim is the way the PS3 should have been built in the first place.
I have some ps1/2 games still tho... lol

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
OLD RENDITION: I finally got my last couple parts in the mail today (even though usps tracking said it was out for delivery yesterday...had to call them up this morning and they said, "Oh...it's here, I don't know why it didn't get delivered. Do you want to pick it up?"....what the hell kinda question is that?! Leave it to our federal postal service to F things up!). Anyways, after about 6 hours of messing with this mod, I finally got it the way I want. Here are some final pics:
1) Drained fluid and altered tubing
2) Routed HDD away from mobo to the 3.5" drive bay (to reduce heat soak in mobo)
3) Swapped my SilenX fan on rad with two of my Scythe Ultra Kaze's for added cfm
4) The 2 USB ports on front cover are functional now
5) Working on fabricating the cover to fit a 280mm fan (I had lying around) for exhaust purposes. Cover is staying off until then.

All in all, I'm happy with the way this turned out. I put in a lot more time than I cared to, but I kept coming up with better ideas as I went.

Hopefully this solves my overheating issue. You'll definitely hear from me if it doesn't!

Peace,

SD

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.