Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well first off i appologize in advance if this question has already been posted, however i didn't see it. first off the car as the title states is a '91 gti 16valve. the issue is the car idles fine but once you press the gas the rpms go to about 2500 then the car starts jerking and stalling as soon as you let off the gas. i just purchased the vehicle and have not had time to troubleshoot the problem in depth. the previous owner says this only happens when the car is A) cold, B) half a tank of gas or less. personally having drove it around a little on a warm day the car does its usual jerking fit then eventually kicks in if you hold the gas pedal constant, once it does kick in car pulls strong as it should. im not sure where to start this being my first VW in all. im thinking a few things could be the issue. TPS, distributor, plugs, wires, fuel filter/pump, timing off. just looking for some input before i start tearing into things. any input you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I've never worked on a 16v lol

If it has a maf try unplugging it and see if it makes any difference. I've heard on the cis cars that vacuum lines mean everything so may want to once over those too

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Is there a lot of motor movement? Bad motor/trans mounts can make very spooky things happen. It's worth checking into.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try, checking inside the "bellows" leading to the TB. They will crack over time and you can't see the cracks. When the engine rocks under accerlation the carck opens and the intake system is no longer sealed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts