Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have a 1986 GTI. Ive been making some repairs lately, and one that im stuck on is the power steering. When the Wheel is turned hard or all the way, a loud chirping sound is made.

I found that it was the Power Steering pump was freezing up.

I replaced my fluid, and bought a new pump, but the chirping still happens when ever i turn the wheel.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what i could do next.
Should I make my belts tighter/looser?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Hello, i have a 1986 GTI. Ive been making some repairs lately, and one that im stuck on is the power steering. When the Wheel is turned hard or all the way, a loud chirping sound is made.

I found that it was the Power Steering pump was freezing up.

I replaced my fluid, and bought a new pump, but the chirping still happens when ever i turn the wheel.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what i could do next.
Should I make my belts tighter/looser?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
This might not fix it but worth a shot. Put your front end on jack stands. With car off turn you wheel all the way to the left turn on car and hold for about 2-4 seconds. Turn car off than turn wheel all the way to the right and hold. Turn on car and hold for 2-4 seconds. Turn off car. That is one set. Repeat that 3-7 more sets. That is the best way to bleed your system to get all air out. Start of with that and let me know how it goes. One sure way to make sure that it is not an air bubble in there.

DU SCHAUST WIE EIN AUTO, NUR NICHT SO SCHNELL!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey sorry for taking a while to reply.

So i jacked up the front and did all that you said, and the problem is still happening. I aslo failed to point out that the new pump i put in is still freezing up.

I was wondering if the belt being to tight is causing it, and if i should loosen it up to see if it would work? If you or anyone could let me know know how tight they should. Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Thats pretty cool i love to go fast. 140mph was my fastest in my MKV.
The belt should have a 1/4" of play in it. Just take a ruler and push the belt in until it gets to 1/4"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The belt should have a 1/4" of play in it. Just take a ruler and push the belt in until it gets to 1/4"
Once again sorry for taking a while to reply, ive been really busy with school. I ended up measuring the play and noticed it was actually too loose. I pulled it tighter and it seemed to fix the problem. The belt wasn't tight enough to hold on to the pump, which made it seem like it was freezing up. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Once again sorry for taking a while to reply, ive been really busy with school. I ended up measuring the play and noticed it was actually too loose. I pulled it tighter and it seemed to fix the problem. The belt wasn't tight enough to hold on to the pump, which made it seem like it was freezing up. Thanks for the help!
Glad the problem was fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts