Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this from a dealer in my email today:

"Now, a few things. It does not have the 18's as they are horrible...even with all-seasons...in winter driving.

I have this exact car, and I recommend what me and so many other do...just a suggestion of course...which is keep the 17's for the winter driving, and get a set of 18's with summer tires for the better weather.

The 18's add $900 to the cost of the car, and since you would absolutely need winter tires...you can get a tire package at TireRack.com etc for about the same price.

If you need the factory 18's I am sure I can help you, but I wanted to be honest with you about the driving. "

Is this true, or is he trying to hit me to buy both sets?

·
Registered
19 Posts
How much snow? You don't give a clue as to where you are.

When I got my GTI in May, it came with 17" all seasons.
I immediately started looking for a set of rims to put some
snow tires on as I live in the snowbelt of n.e.ohio.

What I ended up with was a set of 17" Denver's with summer tires that
I'm currently running on the car, will put the all seasons back on in a month
or so. Once I wear one set or the other out, I'll get some snow tires
and have a set of summer's and a set of winter's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spookertunes said:
How much snow? You don't give a clue as to where you are.

When I got my GTI in May, it came with 17" all seasons.
I immediately started looking for a set of rims to put some
snow tires on as I live in the snowbelt of n.e.ohio.

What I ended up with was a set of 17" Denver's with summer tires that
I'm currently running on the car, will put the all seasons back on in a month
or so. Once I wear one set or the other out, I'll get some snow tires
and have a set of summer's and a set of winter's.
Ah sorry. We get a decent amount, but not insane. I'm in CT on the shoreline (a little warmer), but I do a crazy amount of driving. I'd say we have a few storms per winter, and mostly the roads are fairly well plowed. Even so, it's still CT.... and our winters suck.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wheel size doesn't make much difference as far as driving in snow/ice. He's dumb. 18's with all seasons are going to be VERY similar to the 17's with all seasons. It's all in the tire.

If you really want, get two sets. But imo, that's just for those north of the border. If you live in an area that only gets a few storms per year, there's just no sense in two sets unless you really splurge on some nice summer performance tires to have fun with. Get a good set of all-seasons on your 18's and don't drive like an idiot. Slow is safe in poor weather, no matter what you're driving.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
matrim22 said:
Wheel size doesn't make much difference as far as driving in snow/ice. He's dumb. 18's with all seasons are going to be VERY similar to the 17's with all seasons. It's all in the tire.

If you really want, get two sets. But imo, that's just for those north of the border. If you live in an area that only gets a few storms per year, there's just no sense in two sets unless you really splurge on some nice summer performance tires to have fun with. Get a good set of all-seasons on your 18's and don't drive like an idiot. Slow is safe in poor weather, no matter what you're driving.
that's what i asked him for.. i said 18s w/ all-season. he shot back trying to sell me the 17s i guess because he's trying to move inventory like TODAY. lol. it's funny how they'll just bullshit you.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The 17's will work better in the snow. The tire has a higher profile and is more compliant as a result. Not trying to be argumentative, they just are. I would move out of the snow before I gave up my 18's though. Oh yeah, I did...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gunny said:
The 17's will work better in the snow. The tire has a higher profile and is more compliant as a result. Not trying to be argumentative, they just are. I would move out of the snow before I gave up my 18's though. Oh yeah, I did...
assuming roads are well-plowed, the 18s should be fine, right? i don't plan on driving my fast through inches of white stuff.. just icy roads with a little coating.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If there is that much snow on the ground, that is reason enough to stay home. If you have to travel, they should be fine. Worst case, check with dealers for take offs (wheels taken off new cars at or before delivery becuase the buyer upgraded). I saw a set of decent 17's the other day for $750 with tires. Could probably do better on 16's. Get a winter set.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Gunny has a great point there. If he really thinks you need 2 sets, tell him you want the 18's on the car and a cheap set of 16's with winter tires. That makes the most sense.

Get the 18's. You really will be fine with them year round. 18" all seasons are plenty good unless you're driving in a blizzard on an ice lake.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Shoot me over a link for the winter 22" tires. I have to pick up a set O0 The thumb is my BS meter going off.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Got this from a dealer in my email today:

"Now, a few things. It does not have the 18's as they are horrible...even with all-seasons...in winter driving.

I have this exact car, and I recommend what me and so many other do...just a suggestion of course...which is keep the 17's for the winter driving, and get a set of 18's with summer tires for the better weather.

The 18's add $900 to the cost of the car, and since you would absolutely need winter tires...you can get a tire package at TireRack.com etc for about the same price.

If you need the factory 18's I am sure I can help you, but I wanted to be honest with you about the driving. "

Is this true, or is he trying to hit me to buy both sets?
honestly I had the summer performance, sport trac conti's, on mine this last winter, we had a couple of good ice and snow storms. I am on the vol- fire department so I had to drive in it and the summers on 18's did fine. short of climping the mountain I live on. and with driver skill, EG. 207 ft/lbs + heavy foot +ice+=not good for my gti;), should not have a problem, any tire will break loose on ice, just takes the right driver

·
Registered
468 Posts
My Fahrenheit came w/18's and dunlop summer perf. tires (M&S rated). They did fine in light snow as far as traction goes, although I wouldn't take my Fast out in a blizzard. I keep a 4WD SUV in the driveway for those kinds of days. You should be fine if you drive cautiously in snow that isn't very deep, or you could get another set of rims and tires and not worry about it at all.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have the 17" all season Conti's and they have performed well in our northeast Ohio winter weather thus far. Don't see why 18" all seasons would be much worse with traction control and ABS. Like it's been said already, just be a smart driver. I have had excellent control even on glare ice. I am going to switch over to 18" summers this coming spring just for the performance upgrade.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wheel size is not going to make a difference in this case. Get some good winter tires and a set of summer tires, maybe even a set of rains too if you're a stickler like myself.

I live in the snowbelt in cleveland, oh. I just mounted 4 brand new blizzaks for the winter. Blizzaks = win

·
Registered
747 Posts
Wheel size is not going to make a difference in this case.
Wheel size does matter in the snow...The col air constricts the rubber and stiffens it. The high profile tires (16inch wheel) will allow for a wider tire. This keeps the tire from stiffening too much. I have 18 inch summer performance hufs on my car and just got a set of snow tires. I've had my car since the summer and when it started to cool down in the fall I could feel my wheels slipping when it rained.

If you get a lot of snow in your area the snow tires are a MUST...

Look at it this way, get a 900 dollar setup, it'll be cheap than replacing your stock wheel tires after 'burning out' all winter.

I got a great deal for some 16 inch steelies and a good set of tires from a local shop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I guess I don't understand your reasoning... higher profiling of the tire is not going to lead to a less stiff tire, nor allow you to have a wider tire.

The flexibility is going to be a result of soft tire compound that is rated for low temperatures, snow tires are generally softer and stickier in 0-34 degree weather, where as a summer tire is going to harden up anywhere below 50 degrees. An all season is going to be good anywhere from about 34 degrees to 70~80 degrees. Just because a tire is low-profile does not mean that it will give any less performance in snow assuming you are using a snow/ice rated tire, do not expect much in dry or wet weather though... they are simply to get you through the winter safely.

Tire width is going to be up to the rim width. It is true that thinner wheels cut through deep snow better, but if there is that much snow outside... stay in.

So I could understand if he wanted to get some thinner wheels/tires for winter.. but I'd still take the factory summer tires on 18's instead of being pushed in to 17s... I got the 17's because that is what I wanted... still got lots of extra wheels and tires for different temperatures and purposes though..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I live in New Hampshire and I picked up my new GTI Monday. Asking for all season tires and not getting them was a little aggravating. But even more than that was the absolute B.S. I was when I got home that night and couldn't even get into my driveway because of 2 lousy inches of fresh snow/ice ontop of hardpack. I have a gravel driveway and it's hardpack till spring. I called the dealer and there was "nothing he could do", I got the tires that "came with" the car ....BS!!!

I went to a tire shop and got a set of winter snow/ice tires and now I can pull through it no problem. The dealer doesn't know crap about the tires. The sales manager tried to tell me they WERE the all seasons that I got. Ya right, Potenza RE050's are all seasons..... Forget getting any all seasons too, get the 18" summer tires and go directly to a tire dealer and get a set of snow/ice tires put on and you'll have no issues with it. I got a set of Mastercraft Glacier II for under $450 mounted and balanced. Then when good weather hits, you'll have a brand new set of summer tires ready to go just get them switched over and your good to go.

If you want to go about getting another set of rims for the winter tires, I would probably go with 17"s from the tire dealer just to save a couple hundred in tires & rims. Dealer pricing can't compete with a tire dealer's. At least I haven't seen any that can.......

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ride mine in the snow all the time (especially yesterday) in central ohio. No problems here. I mean, it is a fwd 200hp car, what do you expect? I was very pleased with the way the 18s handled the snow. Especially as i passed a 2008 honda accord going up a snowy hill yesterday.

Personally, the MKV has a very good ESP system. Real improvement over the MKIV i had.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Living in Calgary my whole life i can tell you a thing or two about driving on that white crap. "All Seasons" is the biggest Load of bulls%$t EVER! They ARE NOT designed for snow/ice. The treads are not designed for grip on snow, and the compound itself is not made for cold weather. A cheap set of winters on steel rims will be 10x better than even a decent set of all seasons. think of it this way. All seasons are a harder rubber, when that rubber gets cold it gets hard (think of a Hockey puck...try walking around a rink with pucks under your shoes...) That said, like Matrim22 mentioned, if you get one storm a year, then just stay home. otherwise a set of snow tires is cheaper than replacing the front of your car (or worse)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts