Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the guy said itd be putting out like 275W RMS. 10" orion sub with amp (forget what type) with ported box and installation: $400. Good? Should I look elsewhere? I'm sorta hesitant to go with a non-name brand. Also, is that enough power?

My brother has a 12" Jackhammer which hits pretty hard I suppose and he's in a GLI with that in the trunk. My friend has a Focal of some sort which hits even harder but thats in his suburban.

If you think I have a better option, what are your recommendations?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
hatches always hit harder, also 400 is a decent price... you can find stuff on craigslist though for cheep

i got 2x 12's for 30 my 1000 watt amp for 65, and i built my box for 50... but if you want all new then 400 is a decent prce

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
A good 10" should be plenty for a hatch... Orion's have been around for a long time, I knew a guy that ran 4 of them in his competition car.

Focal is sick, if you can afford it... Im doing Focal all the way around this winter for my "off-season project"...

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I'm gonna go back to JL for my subs...

But to answer the questions, my 10w6v2 hit HARD in my mkiv

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Depends on what you want from the sub. I swear by JL but that's because that's all I've ever had...

JL isn't cheap. IMO, maybe go to a place that has the subs on display so that you can hear them and kinda go from there

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm gonna go back to JL for my subs...

But to answer the questions, my 10w6v2 hit HARD in my mkiv
Thats the exact sub I am looking at to toss in my mkiv. Love JL subs and amps

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I ran a 10w6v2 bridged on a 300/4 amp and couldn't have been happier

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Crutchfield has retail stores in VA, not sure where your located... If not, hit up a best buy or other car audio shop and check out whats on display like Boosted said... JL are more on the expensive side but are quality subs. I cant say anything about recent Orion subs since I havent heard one in 15 years. Focal is borderline stupid expensive but they are supposed to be the best in the biz. Cant say I've heard them either but I will as soon as I hit the Crutchfield store and check their display...

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Depends on what you want from the sub. I swear by JL but that's because that's all I've ever had...

JL isn't cheap. IMO, maybe go to a place that has the subs on display so that you can hear them and kinda go from there
Im a big time JL supporter and you wont find a better Woofer than a JL

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Fist bump through the pc for you sir! Just on a roll tonight

108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crutchfield has retail stores in VA, not sure where your located... If not, hit up a best buy or other car audio shop and check out whats on display like Boosted said... JL are more on the expensive side but are quality subs. I cant say anything about recent Orion subs since I havent heard one in 15 years. Focal is borderline stupid expensive but they are supposed to be the best in the biz. Cant say I've heard them either but I will as soon as I hit the Crutchfield store and check their display...
The guy at the sub place I went today seemed to think Orions were pretty good. My friend got a Focal because at the time he was making higher-than-many-doctors level income (he was 15 at the time) and decided he didn't really care about the cost. It sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I'm not making the same 2g's per day, so I'd be more conservative, but I'd be okay dropping an extra 100 or so to have a good JL instead of something that'll just rattle my car.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
The guy at the sub place I went today seemed to think Orions were pretty good. My friend got a Focal because at the time he was making higher-than-many-doctors level income (he was 15 at the time) and decided he didn't really care about the cost. It sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I'm not making the same 2g's per day, so I'd be more conservative, but I'd be okay dropping an extra 100 or so to have a good JL instead of something that'll just rattle my car.
The salesman might be pushing Orion cuz its a higher margin for the store. They could be good, I just cant give you a yes or no since I havent heard one in many many years. When I was doing competitions as a teenager they were very good subs. But, I could rattle off a lot of brands that used to be good and then sold out to the lower-end consumer market *cough "Kicker" *cough.... I agree with these guys, get a JL, you wont be dissapointed..!

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
The salesman might be pushing Orion cuz its a higher margin for the store. They could be good, I just cant give you a yes or no since I havent heard one in many many years. When I was doing competitions as a teenager they were very good subs. But, I could rattle off a lot of brands that used to be good and then sold out to the lower-end consumer market *cough "Kicker" *cough.... I agree with these guys, get a JL, you wont be dissapointed..!
I agree, but they still have a decent comp series..L5 and L7 solo barric were priced pretty well a couple years ago when I checked

·
Registered
556 Posts
I dont know about where everyone all lives, but if you have smaller car audio stores they will hook you up more than a Best Buy, or bigger retail store. You can give them a price you want to stick around, and they will hook you up. I have always bought my car audio from the smaller stores for the better prices, you can haggle with them as well.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
im happy with my sony sub

more then enough for me, my gf is always telling me to turn it down anyways

1 - 20 of 25 Posts