Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
You get what you pay for...

A real supercharger is 4-6 grand, all that thing is for 399 is an inline fan... ::) 10-30 HP?

I wanna see the dynos O0

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bcruzin said:
with a capital G. And another thing, when there are 100 spelling, grammar and / or coding mistakes on their web page, you generally assume the product will be.. um.. worthless.

Hell you may as well buy this too, it will do just as much ::)

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?mai..._id=10&zenid=d7f183eb307316a642cff8ddd456a7d8
WTF? I have never heard of that before.........muffler bearing, yeah right. ANyone read the reviews, try not to laugh.

But in all seriousness, i do believe that it might work but not safely. My reasoning..........
#1 there is a dyno with a 10hp gain, but may be a gimmick or estimate.
#2 Any fan capable of pushing 300cfm will increase you horse power. Small turbos are around 300ish CFM.
#3 it is actually sealed and could possibly boost a little.
Now for the cons......
#1 Really 300cfm? kinda hard to believe it would work. It says it draws 60 amps..............i have a 65amp altenator.......do i need to say anymore?
#3 If it did work, you would need a big altenater and the amp draw loss in HP would not be greater then the gain in PSI.
#3 they do have electric superchargers and they do work really only if there is an outside cource of electric.
#4 anyone see it lean out the air/feul ratio???? ::)
Conclusion............
It could work, but having enough electricity to supply it is not worth the gain. And i dont think leaning out the Air/Feul ratio is really a safe thing to do.......... :-X

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It said in the review that the amp draw only happens when this kicks in ( at WOT ) so the draw isnt constant. Would that make a difference? I have no idea, i just saw it and figured it was a gimmick but what do i know, im no tuner!

10-30 HP seems out of reach, im with Dragon, i would have to see the dyno figures to believe it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK so its showing 267 and 286 HP, obviously the car has been chipped as well, maybe i missed it but what was the peak dyno supposed to be before they put in the fan?

·
Registered
530 Posts
As far as power consumption, 60A in this case is roughly gonna cost 1 horse power to produce. (60A x 12v=720w. 1 hp = ~745w). Your battery along with modern day alternators (100A and up) could power one of these all day. Hey, I'm not trying to promote this thing, just helping to answer questions!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
these things are about as awesome as the TURBONATOR!!!!! Stay the fWord away from junk like this. Anything that says, universal fit, or guarunteed!!!! Is a bunch of balogna!

·
Registered
33 Posts
what a joke you could get more hp gains by putting premium in your car. wtf i psi why would u buy this. i would never put anything such as this on my baby. only the best.

·
Registered
749 Posts
And if you hook that thing up in an already supercharged car like a GTI, you're only going to realize a small fraction of the gains they claim. For one, unless you've had your ECU chipped already, the extra "1 PSI" is gonna be nulled by the diverter valve or wastegate once the intake charge hits the factory programmed boost limit. And if you're gonna spend $600 on a chip and another $400 on this thing, you might as well just get a little extra boost mapped in when you get your ECU tuned. There's no difference in reliability if you use 1 PSI from this thing versus 1 more PSI from the stock turbo. Most companies will do this anyway if you buy the super-premium or race gas program.

And about that 1 PSI--I'm gonna have to make a couple assumptions for the sake of an example. Let's say a stock turbo produces 14.7 PSI (1 atmosphere) boost at WOT at some engine speed (say, 5000 RPM). With 2 liters of displacement in your engine, that would mean pulling in (2 liters per 2 revolutions * 5000 revolutions per minute * 2 atmospheres=) 10000 liters of air per minute. That's the same as 353 cubic feet per minute. Some would think that an additional 300 CFM from the turbonator would mean a significant increase in power, but that's just not how it works. Since the turbo will be pulling in more than the electric fan can handle, the impellers will just freewheel and not really do anything but create turbulence and impede the last 53 cubic feet of air the turbo is trying to pull in. If there's any benefit to it, it would simply be less stress on the turbo's bearings. As for their gains with a normally aspirated engine, I can see it's possible, but I would always go with more conventional power-adders, like a real super- or turbo-charger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I actually know soomeone who bought that for there car, it is a real product..its like putting a leaf blower on your intake... [dragon]

·
Registered
446 Posts
did they see any gains?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im sure that was expected by everyone - at 399 bucks, this is obviously a ripoff ... another 100 bucks and an APR chip and you can see REAL gains.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts