Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I posted a long time back about having trouble with my radio volume control, and the problem with the power limiting on the speakers (constantly adjusting/fluctuating) I've just about had it with the stereo. I paid for the ten speaker "monsoon" stereo and instead just sounds like a light shower. The reason I continue to put something on is because the first time i put it down the site crashed , or whatever. Someone told me there was a power limiter connected to the head unit and to fix the problem would be getting rid of the head unit... Please let me know something.
Thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
Re: The radio problem...

I thought all the GTIs came with the upgraded stereo standard. That being said, I have noticed that the volume fluctuates if I'm listening to FM radio. Since it doesn't do it on any other car I'm in, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with signal strength. It doesn't happen on AM or if I'm listening to a CD though.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Yeah, I hate this...I love how if I'm at volume 30, then turn it down to say, 29, it is louder for a moment. I too would like to know more about this annoyance

·
Registered
112 Posts

I have been having the same problem, I have the auto sound adjuster thing off and it still fluctuates... It's the most annoying thing ever... it seems that when I listen to something with bass at 3/4 way up it will lower the volume, and when I lower the bass, the volume comes back up, but then goes back down.... is there maybe a wire I can cut?? I hate to have to changed the head unit especially since I have the 6 cd changer and sirius....

·
Registered
3 Posts

In doing some research I've found that the radio has what is called "soft clipping"

"soft clipping is the factory radio's way of limiting the volume when it thinks the speakers will distort. It will cut the volume when it deems appropriate to attempt to protect the speakers."

Apparently the dealer can "re-flash" the radio to increase the limits. This should not void any warrantys.

I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
91 Posts

toweringq said:
In doing some research I've found that the radio has what is called "soft clipping"

"soft clipping is the factory radio's way of limiting the volume when it thinks the speakers will distort. It will cut the volume when it deems appropriate to attempt to protect the speakers."

Apparently the dealer can "re-flash" the radio to increase the limits. This should not void any warrantys.

I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow.
Please post your results with the dealer phone call

·
Registered
19 Posts

my gti is doing this also, and they said that this has happened on a few others and they will try to re flash but they may need to replace the head unit..

·
Registered
91 Posts

tikiman said:
my gti is doing this also, and they said that this has happened on a few others and they will try to re flash but they may need to replace the head unit..
so, is this a defect, or are they supposed to do that?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

I have the problem too, but only with FM. I listen to CDs most of the time anyway, so I haven't been too annoyed at it. I think it might be that whenever there's slight distortion in the FM signal, it adjust volume.

I don't think I've ever hit the down-volume button on my steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

i have the same problem with my stero. whenever you listen to some bass happy music or turn the bass up on the car the volume plunges... this is so god damn annoying. when i listen to music i dont want to be able to hear my horrible voice also!!! O0

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

it really is a problem and hopefully when i ask my dealership about this re flash they know what i'm talking about because they knew nothing about the car when they sold it to me. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to more. I'd be damned if I had to replace the head unit. let me know what you find out from the dealership so i can tell mine exactly what ou told yours. thanks again... painfully struggling to listen, matt.

·
Registered
112 Posts

I have an appointment tomorrow to have this fixed, I will let everyone know whats up.. my dealership has people who know the GTI, so hopefully I wont have issues.. Im also getting that fuel line fix.. hopefully they have replacement head units in stock..

·
Registered
3 Posts

I called the dealership today. They've "heard something about that".

I have an appointment next week Monday. I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts

i just sent my car to the dealer and they have a program that fixes the radio problem the only thing is that the speakers still make it sound shitty, u just need to fool around w the bass and stuff

·
Registered
112 Posts

I just took mine to the dealer and they said that is a frequent issue and they will just change out the head unit... if it wasnt for the 6 disc changer and sirius I would just get an aftermartket double din.. but these speakers definitely have to go soon... my cell phone has better speakers.. :mad:

·
Registered
346 Posts

I'm in the same boat that I want to keep the purity of the head unit while deep-sixing the cruddy speakers. I would post another thread re: speaker replacements to fit the GTI, but I know fuck all about speakers. Anyone with at least some level of expertise want to kick one off?

·
Registered
690 Posts

It's going to be expensive. There's like 10 speakers in there, so you're in for a bunch of replacements. And it looks like many of them are in locations where it's not exactly a simple task to replace them.

Edit: I know that's not the information you were looking for, but well... Deal with it.

·
Registered
346 Posts

Yeah, I know the speaker placement isn't exactly standard. I just don't want to be stuck with paper cones in my door.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.