Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the "07 Changepoints" thread in General Discussion, it looks like VW is going to include the nice sound system in their 07's. Does anyone have any idea (a) if the 06 and 07 systems can be swapped out seamlessly (head unit and speakers); and (b) what the ballpark cost of parts and labor might be on an operation like that?

As a prophylactic measure, can we save the "Dude, why don't you get the SuperDopeHeadUnit w/ amps welded all over the place" response for a "Let's talk different sound systems" thread.

·
Registered
690 Posts
As stated in the changepoints thread, I'm anxious to have these questions answered myself. I'm not really a fan of the headunit in the '06 and I don't want some $600 OLED monstrosity in the middle of my dash. I like the way the stock one looks, so I'd like to keep it as close to that as possible.

I'm sure we could have Freddie look things up for us. I'm suspecting it'll be somewhere in the $400 range, though.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Test drive a new '07 with premium sound bring it back to your chop shop and swap it out on the n/c.

Did I say that out loud? >:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DrJones said:
As stated in the changepoints thread, I'm anxious to have these questions answered myself. I'm not really a fan of the headunit in the '06 and I don't want some $600 OLED monstrosity in the middle of my dash. I like the way the stock one looks, so I'd like to keep it as close to that as possible.

I'm sure we could have Freddie look things up for us. I'm suspecting it'll be somewhere in the $400 range, though.
Ah, I thought when you said you wanted a new head unit with shiny knobs and an aux input, you were talking about aftermarket. You really think it will be in the 400$ range for the headunit and labor to remove the old one and install the new one? I wonder how much they'll rape, er charge, us on the speakers?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I honestly don't have any real issue with the existing speakers. Sure, they're not the greatest, but they don't sound bad.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, they're not terrible, I agree, but I listen to a lot of electronic music with a lot of bass, and I know it's only a matter of time before I blow through one of the cones. The Monsoon system speakers (or whatever the 07's come with) can take more punishment.

·
Registered
690 Posts
dean said:
No, they're not terrible, I agree, but I listen to a lot of electronic music with a lot of bass, and I know it's only a matter of time before I blow through one of the cones. The Monsoon system speakers (or whatever the 07's come with) can take more punishment.
Your ears aren't going to take much more punishment if you keep listening to that crap.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I hate Illinois Nazis.

That's why my fast has a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Did I mention I traded my previous car for a microphone?

Signed,
Joliet Jake

·
Registered
112 Posts
Trust me, it would not be worth it to swap out an oem headunit for another oem headunit...call VW and ask them how much it would cost to replace the factory head unit and you'll see what I mean... just leave the headunit alone and add an amp for the mids and highs, and another amp for a sub or too if you want...that would sound better than any factory system you can get, and it'll cost less too...

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Adding an amp and some better speakers will make a lot more difference than getting the "Premium audio" from VW. It's still factory. My Jetta had "premium audio" and it was shit.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My old car had the stock soundsystem from 1993.

I'm just glad the shit doesnt rumble anymore.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
avega said:
Trust me, it would not be worth it to swap out an oem headunit for another oem headunit...call VW and ask them how much it would cost to replace the factory head unit and you'll see what I mean...
I didn't realize how much it would cost. If it really is that expensive, you're right, a speaker swap w/ an amp sounds like the more viable choice. So long as I can keep the clean look of the car as-is, I'm cool with it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
take out the spare tired and slam a 12" sub in there and then replace the regular speakers with higher quality speakers the same size.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not "slamming" anything in place of my spare tire. There are enough potholes in this city to necessitate having a Get Off the Tow Truck Free card.

·
Registered
112 Posts
you can do anything you want and have it look factory...I would probably just put one nice 10" or 12" for bass, since it's a hatchback you really dont need much to feel it thump...

·
Registered
300 Posts
blackgti06 said:
i dont care much about my music i like the way it is im all about speed and performance.
If you only care about spped and performance, you should have bought a mini. HA!

Please don't spite me, I'm in a sarcastic mood. I've worked about 40 hours in the last 48...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts