Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

06 GLI CEL and burning oil pls help

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  iagainsti 
#1 ·
So I bought a used 2006 GLI. I am posting this in a GTI forum because there is not that much activity on the GLI forums and I figured that the engine is the same so there's not a big difference.
The GLI has 80000 miles on it and is burning through oil really fast. It is also throwing a P0008 code which has to do with the timing between the cam and the crank. I was just wondering if anyone else ever had this issue and remedied it. Autozone told me that replacing the intake cam position sensor could help so I took a look at the one on the car and noticed that some wires internals were exposed coming from the sensor. And the sensor bracket clip looks to be shot and there was silicone all over the sensor and plug. It looks like someone has tried to replace the sensor before so I am worried this is a recurring issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
How much oil is it going thru ? Not sure about the cam sensor but the FSI is notorious for burning oil. I have a 07 which goes thru a 1/2 qt ever 1000 miles. I did have a bad oil separator that was sucking up oil and a internally de-laminated valve cover, both were replaced. It still goes thru oil just not as much now. Also make sure you have the latest PCV - it should be covered under warranty or better yet do a block off plate with a catch can.

#6 ·
Yes the FSI has a cam follower issue that should be under warranty for 10 years or 120k miles. Again not sure if your code is related to that or not but the follower is easy to check. Just remove the HPFP. There are many walk thur's on line. A catch can should come with a PCV block off plate - it mainly separates the oil vapor out of your intake. I would take it to a dealer and see what warranty work and recalls have been done so far, as both the follower and PCV have recall issues.

#7 ·
I would first start off by finding someone with a vag-com to hook into your ecu before wasting any more $$ on parts that don't need replacing. When the car is running. Check bank 004 in the engine tab and see what the torsion value is (timing).

If your car is at 80k, it's time for a new timing belt, tensioner pulley and water pump any way.

I would also check your coolant for any browning or hazy coloring as this would be indicative of a failed head gasket.

#8 ·
Yes the FSI has a cam follower issue that should be under warranty for 10 years or 120k miles. Again not sure if your code is related to that or not but the follower is easy to check. Just remove the HPFP. There are many walk thur's on line. A catch can should come with a PCV block off plate - it mainly separates the oil vapor out of your intake. I would take it to a dealer and see what warranty work and recalls have been done so far, as both the follower and PCV have recall issues.
Do you happen to have a specific recall number on that. I have taken the car to the dealer an they pulled up the recalls by vin and the cam wasnt on there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.